AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Max crash on repathing

If I attempt to repath an xmesh to a different mapped network drive max freezes indefinitely with one core churning. If I click the … button it loads fine.

Can you clarify your process of repathing?
Asset Manager? MAXScript? Typing the path manually? Something else?

Copy paste into the path field and hitting enter.

I think it might be the way that the plugin is reading data off of our network. Apparently my activities were causing mass havoc on our network trying to read hundreds of thousands of .xmdat files. As a result the file server could only push 20KB/s of data so when opened through the file browser it must have been working with the file server slightly differently vs directly entering a path.

Thank you for your report! I see that copying and pasting a path into the path field does indeed cause more filesystem activity.

I can think of two places where we access the .xmdat files: once during a directory scan to find the valid frame range, and again to load the current frame. Could you tell if the problem was caused by scanning all xmdat files in the directory, or by reading the files for the current frame?

Couldn’t say for sure. It was generally just when opening the file with an xMesh in it. So it might be the scan and it might be the first frame loading.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences