AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Maya not erroring properly

Just recently picked up a weird error issue in Maya. The following is a log from a single machine that failed when picking up V-Ray in Maya but Deadline didn’t catch the error so it went on to complete the task without saving any frames. It pretty much blitzed the whole job. We’re running Maya 2018 with the latest V-Ray and Deadline 10.0.16.5.

Thanks

Nick

“Strict error checking off, ignoring the following error or warning.” :wink:

Yes… well I wondered about that. :unamused:

The thing is it normally errors if it can’t find things. If I turn the strict error checking on though am I gonna end up with everything crashing out. Maya seems to be a pain for throwing stupid errors that make no difference to the running of the job. Missing V-Ray seems to be a bit more of a fundamental issue.

Nick

Nick ,

if your up for editing the Maya plugin, i suggest adding your own lines to the “InitializeProcess” function.

then add yourself a line for the thing you want it to hard fail on:
self.AddStdoutHandlerCallback(".is not part of the render setup.").HandleCallback += self.HandleFatalError

we find the “strict error checking” is good, but there are some things that should be a soft warning, so instead we just started adding all the stuff we want to outright fail to the Initialize process.

A really good example for this, is there is a maya plugin called “displaced”, we cant for the life of us figure out where is comes from in the studio, but when its missing, its doesnt effect the maya scenes. but yes, if redshift or vray cant load, we want that to fail.

The added bonus of adding your own AddStdoutHandlerCallback to the InitializeProcess, is that then you can replace some of the errors with more wrangler friendly error messages or in some of our more complex ones, we email the machine info to the IT ticketing system to ask for the machine to be fixed :wink:

Maybe this topic needs to open up a bit more. If everyone is having problems with what is fatal verses a warning, and there are messages that could be added we could just compile a list of changes and attack it all in one go.

Can a we get a few examples from different people in here and discuss how “fatal” they should be, then I can make a dev issue out of it?

Adding a link to the chaos group forums, It looks like someone else had the same issue it was solved there:

https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/v-ray-for-maya-forums/v-ray-for-maya-public/987247-new-render-nodes-not-working

The issue was that the user was using Maya Standalone instead of V-Ray for Maya.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences