AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Mesh-able by age / temp / other criteria

Hello,

I am frosting a massFX + glued Pflow with a long string of adhered particles that resemble noodles.
The physics / interaction of the particles is awesome - the ‘noodles’ shoot out from the emitter and fall into a clump on the ground plane.

I want to use Frost to create an isosurface as the particles are born – The surface becomes associated with the first particles it frosts…and then after a certain time, it will no longer try to associate /combine with other verts within a close proximity. The result would be that when the ‘noodles’ fall on top of each other, the frost mesh does not ‘jump’ across and combine purely on proximity…but on particle age or some other criteria.

I think a similar question was posed a while ago, it sounded like there was perhaps a fix in the works. Is there any way to pull this off?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

cheers,
Bob Dyce

Unfortunately we haven’t started work on this yet, but I will add your request to our notes.

The first thing that comes to mind is that you may be able to split the particles into separate Frost meshes based on their age. This will require Krakatoa, but the free version will work fine.

1. Save your particles to a PRT sequence using Krakatoa.
  2. Create a number of PRT Loaders.
  3. Add a MagmaModifier to each PRT Loader. This MagmaModifier will be used to select a different age range in each PRT Loader. For example, this will select particles outside the age range 0 to 0.5 (note that we select the particles outside our range, because selected particles will be deleted in the next step):
  4. Add a Krakatoa Delete modifier to each PRT Loader. This will delete the selected particles.
  5. Load your saved PRT file sequence into each PRT Loader.
  6. Connect each PRT Loader to a separate Frost node

This may produce some artifacts where the particles are split into separate ranges. You may be able to reduce this by overlapping the ranges slightly.

I can go into more detail if this approach seems promising in your case.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences