AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Mesh jagged reflections

I apologize upfront if the solution common knowledge and I didn’t get the Memo but anyways: Yesterday we recieved our frost trial and I got to play around with it a little bit.
What I noticed when using Zhu/bridson sometimes on a strong curvature on the mesh I get jagged reflections. (See attachment) and I can’t seem to get rid of them even with really upping the resulotion. I tried using relax but this didn’t bring the desired result without killing the mesh detail.
It would be great if someone could give me a pointer in the right direction to deal with those problems.

This looks very much to me like a problem on the renderer over it being a Frost problem. However, this is all I can gather from looking at the image. I’ve done some super detailed meshing with frost and have never had this show up in production.

Again, this is just the info I could Gather from the image.

i’ve had issues like this in normal geometry and have done a variety of things like used geometry at the location of lights to mimic actual specular highlights [as raytraced reflections[ instead of phong, or used soft falloff on lights etc.

cb

Thanks for the response mstarktv. Sadly I don’t have the exact same sim file anymore but I have one closely resembling to the old one. I threw that one away because I noticed some errors in the simulation itself so I thought that could be it. I resimed the whole thing and now I have a very clean sim but still the same errors. In terms of it being a render once I’m done with my current job I’ll follow that trail a bit further. The only thing that stopped me from doing so is that I can see the problemzones on the meshes inside the viewport. (I know the viewport is not always the best indicator). Still I uploaded a few screenshots. All in all I’m not blaming frost or anything I saw the results other people can get with the software so I’m pretty sure its a user error and I’m being completly retarded here.

@Cbond
Thanks for the input. I’m currently using Arealights(+softboxtexture) so “geo” should be there. But like I said once I’m done with the current job I’ll see if I can fix this by playing with the lights and material.

Once again I really appreciate you guys trying to help :slight_smile:

that new one looks like a shadowsampling issue…

cb

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences