AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Modo 901 bugs

Hi,

We have updated to Modo 901 SP1 and have a couple ogf issues with rendering:

Task progress doesn’t update, but jobs are rendering!

Randomly some jobs stay at 0% CPU usage for far longer than the jobs that actually render and nothing seems to happen. SSH into the render node and issuing “top” confirms that nothing is really going on even though modo_cl is loaded.

CentOS 6.6
Deadline 7.2.0.15
Modo 901 SP1

Cheers,
Henrik

As for #1, we do some progress tracking in Modo, but it is possible that we are not catching every case. The way Deadline tracks the progress is by finding lines that look like this in the log:

sceneProgress: 0.6

Where the number is the progress. Would you be able to post the slave log for a task that is not properly reporting progress?

As for #2, do you have a scene that can reliably reproduce what you are seeing? I would like to see what is happening, but I’m not sure how to reproduce it.

Hi,

I have attached a scenefile that has both issues.

• Some tasks render and the slave show 100% CPU and suddenly it’s finished but no progress is updated during rendering.
  • Some tasks hangs while rendering and CPU is 0-10% and the render never finishes.

I don’t think this is scene related as it happens on scenes that renders perfectly with Modo 801 but has issues in 901!

Let me know if you need anything else!

Cheers,
Henrik
Q010_S010_eSolToGoCup_dt_v021_bundled.lxo.zip (21.3 MB)

Thanks for the files. We can take a look and see what is going on.

Hey Henrik,

From testing your scene I am not seeing the issues that you are seeing. Would you be able to get me a a couple of render logs I would like to be able to compare them to what I am seeing to see if I am missing something.

Grant

Hi Grant,

This happens with all scenes in Modo 901 but never in 801 - with the same scenes.
Attached is a slave report from a tile that rendered successfully but did no updating in the monitor during rendering! Other jobs are hanging and never finishes.
Let me know if you want to TeamView in and have a look yourself!

Cheers,
Henrik
blade09_slave_report.txt (940 KB)

Hey Henrik,

So looking at your logs I have been able to find out why they are not updating the progress. It appears that in the logs the scene progress is being printed out as negative values. I am not sure if this is a bug or a setting somewhere either way that is something that foundry should be contacted for. If it is a feature we should be able to add support for it.

For jobs hanging I am not sure it might be related could you get me a log of a hanging one?

Grant

Hey Grant,
Apparently the haning jobs never write out the log but if connecting to the slave log it’s just haning at a progress update percent and never move forward from there, but keeps writing out the same line! Often it happens just before the renderer finishes at aproximately 98% or so.
Cheers,
Henrik

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences