AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Nuke Smartvectors & Deadline frame issue

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix the frame issue with start vectors? When you submit a job from nuke, the first frame from every task always turns black where the smart vector is being used. For example if the ‘frames per task’ was set to 5, every 5th frame would have an error due to smart vectors and it being the first frame of a task. Cheers

From the tiny amount I looked, it seems like Smart Vectors work to calculate change over time. I think they need to throw away the first frame to do this as there would be no change from the non-existant frame before.

Best workaround is to run that processing in a single task that contains all frames. That maxes out at 5,000 frames but can be configured under the ‘Jobs’ section of ‘Configure Repository Options’.

That might be a pain depending on how your script is set up though…

Definitely a fair point, think that is what I was going to do moving on with it. I understand the evidence behind your point, as in the very first frame doesn’t see anything behind it so it wouldn’t see any change, however I do think its a bit strange how every single task (set with 10 frames per task), it was always the first frame, because surely it would have the information already baked into it from the whole sequence. Thank you!

I suppose if Nuke was running with batch mode enabled it would have information from the previous frame. Deadline controlling Nuke would skip from say starting frame 20 on one task to frame 40 on the next it picks up while another Worker grabs from frame 30.

Hi!

We still having the issue even Nuke Batch mode was activated when launching the job.

Any solution yet? I know it could be solved using only one task for the whole job but sometimes it is not the best idea when you have large and heavy scripts…

Thansk in advance!

This has been a well known issue in our pipeline as well, and only seems to happen when rendering to a movie, rather than a sequence. My advice is to just render to an EXR intermediate. This better utilizes your farm anyway.

Once that’s done, you can quickly and easily transcode frames into another format. I know there’s ways to set this up as a single submission, too, and you can even include a script that would delete the intermediates after, but I’ve never done that.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences