AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Ocean mesh problem

Hey guys

I am using Frost to mesh a Naiad sim and then displace using Hristo’s Hot4Max technique. When meshing in Naiad you can output just the ocean surface as the mesh by masking off sides and underneath )this makes it easier to composite the extended ocean later.

My question is whether this is possible to do the same technique in Frost/Krakatoa to just have a clean top ocean surface and no sides/bottom when meshing with frost. Attached a little image of the scene I am working with.
frost_issue..jpg

Just read the post by Hristo, need Genome I suppose :frowning:

We talked about it on Facebook, but let’s recap it here.

First, remove all the particles you don’t need, so the meshing is faster. In the fishtank sim case that means all the particles that are not on the surface. If your sim is coming from Naiad, you can easily do that by magma on the PRT loader to select/delete all particles that have the droplet channel <99 and are below certain velocity.

After that you’re left with a frost mesh of the water surface, which has one poly layer on top, one on bottom. To remove the one on the bottom, you can look at the angle between the normals of the vertex and the closest point on a box matching the fishtank, or a HOT surface, if you’re displacing the particles with the method I’ve shown here: vimeo.com/83258612. With Genome, you can make a vertex magma that says: If the dot product of the normals at the vert and the closest point is below, say 0 or -.5, and distance is below a threshold - which saves the splashes from deleting - you can select/delete the vertex. Magma node can be found here:

dropbox.com/s/h6zdg9iggsjri … agmaScript

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

P.S., disclaimer: You don’t always wanna do that. Sometimes, for raytracing/refraction reasons, for example, you might wanna have it as an actual fishtank :slight_smile:

Thank you for your reply, Glacierise!

I will add this to our wish list for Frost.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences