AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Octane 4 Standalone support

At the moment if I point deadline to octane 4 it doesn’t pick up the correct frame range or samples.

Is there official support coming for Octane 4?

Has Octane 4 been released to the public? I thought it was only in testing right now, and we don’t typically add support until after the full release.

It’s in releases candidate 5, so yes not stable. It should be very soon.

How long after it’s stable will add support?

It depends on internal priorities and what was changed between versions so I can’t give you an estimate. It’s also difficult for support across the applications it’s embedded inside of (Maya, Max, etc).

In the same theme as the thread for C4D R20 support, does anyone know what changed in 4? I guess the first thing to try and figure out is what caused the frame range to fail… Does anyone have Octane 4 handy to check the command line flags? I can compare against?

It looks like we’re passing -a <number> -a <number> for start and end frames which seems pretty ambiguous. I would not be surprised if they changed those two.

I’m not sure what changed. I’m happy to help check some command line flags, but not very knowledgeable with cli myself.

Do you not have an octane licence? Otoy should really give you one for free.

https://docs.otoy.com/StandaloneH_DEV/StandaloneManual.htm#StandaloneDEV/LaunchingOctanefromthe.htm

Otoy don’t give out free licenses, NFR or otherwise, they expect you to buy it. I’d love to be able to recommend it to users but if I can’t get a free license I can’t get to grips with exports and standalone. A pain really but I’m sure Amazon can get the wallet out :wink:

Sometimes they do: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OctaneRender/permalink/1107988706044873/

Message Jules for one or Amazon can cough up.

Also, I’m happy to help if needed. It would be really great to have better octane integration, standalone and C4D.

1 Like

Is there any update when Deadline will be updated to version 4. A stable version is out. Also for the C4D plugin.

1 Like

We’re tracking it here. I don’t see many requests from tickets / the forums here yet. It’s hard to stack it against the rest of the queue without more pressure behind it which is unfortunate.

1 Like

Hi Deadline Team,

We would also benefit greatly from Octane 4 standalone support.
Could the submitter also reflect more of the additional options that are available when running a batch render:

Options such as skip existing frames, EXR compression options, support for the other filename parameters (e.g %n %p %s)
Being able to change the number of samples in deadline after submission would also be great!

Many thanks.

1 Like

Do you have an idea how those additional options map to command line arguments? It would save the dev team some digging and makes that process smoother. If not, I’ll add it anyway.

I’ve +1’d the internal tracker for you. I’ll push for the additional options as a second feature request.

You can pull the Lua script from the octane demo - see below

Also, someone has made a few deadline modifications here, but it a few years old now so maybe not useful: https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=55947

There is also a lot of information in the API that might help with GPU affinity, but maybe it’s not possible to be incorporated into deadline?

There are particularly some Octane with C4D via Deadline problems that have been dogging us for months, having to do with Octane/GUI requirements. I’d love to see some Deadline folks looking into making it run smoothly.

Yeah, we’re noticing this is causing some trouble for a few folks actually. We’re a bit stuck getting Cinema 4D to create those files, but making the Monitor submitter and rendering smoother will be a good add. I’ll throw you in for that as well.

1 Like

Octane command line doesn’t provide a built-in way for batch rendering animation,
so here is an advanced LUA script for that.

Batch Render from command line _ LUA script

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences