AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

OSX Library Permissions and Need Legacy Java SE6

Hi,

I just installed the 8.0.0.52 Beta and am trying to launch everything locally on my iMac as a first test. I had some trouble at first with starting the Launcher and the monitor. The launcher did not open at all and got error messages when opening the monitor. The error stated it did not have permissions to access the folder /user/Library/Application Support/Thinkbox. I hadn’t encountered this with Deadline 7. But after changing the permissions to read-write, both the launcher and monitor opened normally.

The slave however, crashed on opening (did gave me the splashscreen) with the message: “To open “this Java application” you need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime.”
For Deadline 7 I also did not need this. I find it strange to need a Legacy version for a newer version of the software. I will test now if it will work after installing the Legacy Java.

Edit: yes, that did the trick to open the slave!

cheers,
Pepijn

Thanks for reporting these issues!

We weren’t able to reproduce the permissions issue with the Application Support folder. We tried doing a fresh install and confirmed that the Thinkbox folder in Application Support wasn’t created by the installer (so it wasn’t created with locked down privileges). When we launched the Launcher or Monitor afterwards, the Thinkbox folder was created with the correct permissions.

Would you be able to do the following?

• Close all Deadline applications on the machine (including the Launcher)
  • Delete the Thinkbox folder in /user/Library/Application Support
  • Run the Client installer again
  • Run the Deadline Monitor

If you get the same error, can you open a Terminal, change directories to /user/Library/Application Support, and then run the following command:

ls -l

Send us the stdout, and we’ll take a look to see what the permission are.

The Java crash you saw was use to Usage Based Licensing requiring Java on OSX. We’ll be shipping the required JDK with the next beta so that it won’t require a manual installation going forward.

Cheers,
Ryan

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences