AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

OSX setup for Nuke

Hi!

So I’ve tried to figure out how to install Deadline on a really small setup.

iMac Pro - NukeX Licens (script submitter)

Mac mini (2018) + Nuke Render License (just a render-node and the database)

Mac mini has the repository, database and client installation

iMac Pro - client installation + submitter installer

I’ve allowed the permissions on the Mac Mini in order to share the proper folders as it has the repository installed.

Then I followed this step-by-step brief:

1. Install [Foundry License Tools] and NUKE licenses on server
  2. Install NUKEX on all nodes
  3. Install [Foundry License Utility] on all NUKEX nodes
  4. Install Deadline Repository & Database on server
  5. Install Deadline Client on server and on all nodes
  6. Install [Deadline’s NUKE plugin] on nodes
  7. Give write permission to everyone on shared drive
  8. Make sure that Deadline Slave runs on all nodes
  9. Set which node should use the NUKE Interactive license (the other nodes will use the NUKE Render licenses) by going to Deadline Monitor > Tools > Plugin Config > NUKE

But it ended up in this error each time:

Error

=======================================================

Error: Executable returned from RenderExecutable(), “/Applications/Nuke11.2v4/NukeX11.2v4.app”, does not exist.

at Deadline.Plugins.PluginWrapper.StartJob (System.String& outMessage, FranticX.Processes.ManagedProcess+AbortLevel& abortLevel) [0x00092] in <7bf9cb0664064e7692d815b8b56f5216>:0

Type

RenderPluginException

Any suggestions on what’s wrong?

Thanks in advance!
/Vincent

Hey Vincent,

You need to make sure that Tools > Configure Plugins > Nuke > Nuke 11.2 Render Executable is populated with the path of the Nuke binary on your render nodes.

Example:

/Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/Nuke11.2v4

The slave uses this list to find and launch the nuke executable.

Regards,

Charles

Thanks for the input Charles,

Now I got this error instead, any ideas?

Error: Monitored managed process “Nuke” has exited or been terminated.

at Deadline.Plugins.PluginWrapper.RenderTasks (System.String taskId, System.Int32 startFrame, System.Int32 endFrame, System.String& outMessage, FranticX.Processes.ManagedProcess+AbortLevel& abortLevel) [0x002ea] in <7bf9cb0664064e7692d815b8b56f5216>:0

Type

RenderPluginException

Nuke is closing here without us asking it to. We’d want to see the whole log here. If you can send a non-sense test file through and pass it our way, we’ll see if Nuke told us anything before it fell over.

Job_2019-01-22_11-51-09_5c46f59d76b5860175538c87.txt.zip (3.2 KB)

Here’s the textfile/log straight from DeadlineMonitor.

Thanks for your help!

Well there’s your problem:

2019-01-22 11:51:06:  0: STDOUT: nuke_i : License server does not support this product (-18)
2019-01-22 11:51:06:  0: STDOUT: License Path:
2019-01-22 11:51:06:  0: STDOUT: /var/root/FoundryLicensing/f01898ed9def:/Library/Application Support/TheFoundry/RLM:/var/root/FoundryLicensing:/Library/Application Support/TheFoundry/RLM/

Specifically, Nuke can’t find a valid license from either FlexLM or RLM. For testing, try opening Nuke on the machine(s) throwing that error. It’ll take an interactive license at first, but once that’s working and you run it through Deadline it should pull a render license and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the info!

So the Mac Mini does only have the Nuke Render Licens and the iMac Pro has a fixed (non-floating) licens, any way I can resolve this?

Best regards

If the iMac Pro has a node-locked workstation license, set it in the “Slaves to use Interactive License” in the Nuke plugin configuration window. It looks like it already is from this in the log: “2019-01-22 11:51:06: 0: INFO: This slave is in the interactive license list - an interactive license will be used instead of a render license”

Are you able to run this command outside of Deadline without a licensing error? You’ll want to change the path to a Nuke script and run in the Terminal.

"/Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/Nuke11.2v4" -V 2 -i -t "/path/to/Your_scene.nk"

Thanks for the reply,

So the “Slaves To Use Interactive Licens” is the iMac Pro and it still got the license error in deadline.

When running the terminal command - on the Mac Mini - I got an error which you can see in the attached file.

When running it on the iMac Pro it got a bit better but I still can’t get the render going.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Vincent

Flames-iMac-Pro:~ flame$ “/Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/Nuke11.2v4” -V 2 -i -t “/path/to/Your_scene.nk”

Nuke 11.2v4, 64 bit, built Oct 9 2018.

Copyright © 2018 The Foundry Visionmongers Ltd. All Rights Reserved.

Licence expires on: 2019/5/10

Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/_pathsetup.py

Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/init.tcl

Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/init.py

Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/setenv.tcl

Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/formats.tcl

Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/getenv.tcl

Can’t read /path/to/Your_scene.nk: No such file or directory

errors190128.zip (4.3 KB)

Possibly silly question, but did you change the path to the Nuke script?

You’ll want to change the path to a Nuke script and run in the Terminal

Yes, sorry my bad, here’s the complete text, and the Mac Mini didn’t even run the script.

Flames-iMac-Pro:~ flame$ "/Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/Nuke11.2v4" -V 2 -i -t "/Volumes/Eleven/Projects/0144_Formanskligas_Overcoat_190129/06_VFX/SCRIPTS/A032C001_181027_R3DD_Paint_cat_v01.nk"
Nuke 11.2v4, 64 bit, built Oct  9 2018.
Copyright (c) 2018 The Foundry Visionmongers Ltd.  All Rights Reserved.
Licence expires on: 2019/5/10
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/_pathsetup.py
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/init.tcl
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/init.py
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/setenv.tcl
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/formats.tcl
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/getenv.tcl
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/Tracker4.dylib
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/OCIOColorSpace.dylib
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/dpxReader.dylib
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/Merge2.dylib
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/Premult.dylib
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/Project3D2.dylib
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/Card2.dylib
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/Transform.dylib
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/CameraTracker.dylib
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/Scene.tcl
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/MergeGeo.dylib
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/Constant.dylib
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/ScanlineRender.dylib
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/Reformat.dylib
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/CopyMetaData.dylib
Loading /Applications/Nuke11.2v4/Nuke11.2v4.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/movWriter.dylib
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.30.2/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.30.2/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.30.2/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.30.2/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.30.2/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.30.2/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
[11:20:54 CET] Read nuke script: /Volumes/Eleven/Projects/0144_Formanskligas_Overcoat_190129/06_VFX/SCRIPTS/A032C001_181027_R3DD_Paint_cat_v01.nk

Now that’s my fault here. I’d forgotten that Nuke can be run in batch mode and didn’t follow the full Isolating Render Errors from Deadline guide. When debugging with the arguments while a plugin is running in batch mode often no frames will render. According to Nuke’s docs we’d want to add “-F 1” to have it render frame 1.

That all said, it did load the script.

The good news is that Nuke did get the license from the command line. I’m wondering what the difference is between Deadline and the Command line, but macOS changes how environment is set every few years. How did you set up your licenses? Was it with the official docs?

Hi!

Finally, after much trial and error we got it rendering.
Anyway to render through Deadline with a Neatvideo node in Nuke?

Thanks!

Congrats on the success! I have never heard of Neatvideo, so I’m not sure why it wouldn’t work? Do you have some details on the problem before we go digging? It’ll be worth opening a new thread of that one.

Hey guys!

Just bought NukeX floating licens and installed it on our render-server (where we have Nuke_r installed) now it seams that deadline is only working against the NukeX licens thus kicking out our actual client working in NukeX - any ideas how to ask Deadline to only look for the Nuke_r on our RLM-server?

Thanks!

Just got this from the Foundry support:

" Looking into the deadline render log I can see that it is running the following command when rendering:

2019-05-15 11:01:27: 0: INFO : Argument: -V 2 --nukex -i -t “/var/root/Library/Application Support/Thinkbox/Deadline10/slave/Hanss-MBP/jobsData/5cdbd54061daf27db6868e20/thread0_temp2o3XI0/A003C005_190504_R27B_TEJP_V001.nk”

the -i part of the command is forcing Nuke to use an interactive licence to render, rather than your render licence as described in the this article: Q100148: How to render from a terminal using an interactive Nuke license

Please would it be possible for you to remove the -i command from your deadline command and this should then use your nuke render licences for you."

Any way to sort on just the nuke_r licens within deadline?

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences