AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

PhoenixFD

Hi,

Is there any way to use Frost to mesh a liquid sim from Chaosgroup PhoenixFD 2.1.1?

If no, is there any way thinkbox or chaosgroup could help achieve that? I asked them and they said: see with thinkbox!

I thougt about using Stoke to create particle from the phoenix mesh volume and then use frost to mesh those particules. The problem is that phoenix isosurface is coolbut can’t be tweak by modifier, and phoenixFD Mesh looks bad with jaggy highlights.

Is it possible to save such particles to PRT files using Krakatoa, and then load the PRT files into Frost?

You can do this using the free version of Krakatoa. If you do not have a copy of Krakatoa, please contact our sales department to get access to the download.

You can find instructions on how to save PRT files here.

Please let us know if this works!

Edit: Frost can work directly with PhoenixFD particle sources, so please try that first.

I have krakatoa eval. But Phoenix liquid are made by grid like fume fx or hybrido. but they can generate particles too. i will try to save them to PRT. Or maybe I could use stoke (that I just started to learn with the beta) to advect some particles by phoenixFD sim’s vectors and them frost them.

I just discovered that if i generate particles with the phoenix source, I can then pick the grid with frost and it works! I thought it was not supported directly but it seems it is. I am testing it now.

I think the guy who did Frost was a genius! :smiley:

I forgot to post the result of my test here. Some PhoenixFD chocolate with Frost Zhu/Bridson meshing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqXBEqW63Mc

Nice result!

frost result looks much better than the implicit surface, imho. good stuff
cb

It depends where we look at. If we look at the edge where the cookie meet the ground, I was getting artifacts with frost and phoenix mesh but it was smooth only in implicit. But implicit created another problem: jagginess at the top. So the best is to use many of them and render them separately and mix them in comp.

Hi,

I have been trying out Phoenix FD and I cant get Frost to Mesh the particles. It seems that the workflow is to save out the particles using krakatoa. But you seem to have got it to work directly I was wondering how. I am simming secondary particles off a pflow and using liquid mode.

Thanks

What version of Frost and Phoenix FD are you using?

Would it be possible for you to please send us a scene file that reproduces this problem? You can send us files through our ticket system. You may need to ZIP your files to get them through.

I am using from Frost 1.3 and Phoenix 2.2.

I contacted the phoenix and they said it only works with their particle based liquid solver. As I am just using the demo so I don’t have access to that . I guess that’s the issue.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences