AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Problem saving EXR files while tile rendering 3DS Max / VRAY

Hi,

I have a problem trying to use Tile Rendering with .EXR file format using 3DSMax and Vray.
I can’t find any answer to my problem on these forums.

I want to render a large resolution single frame file using 3DSMax 2019 and Vray Next.
I tried selecting “SINGLE FRAME TILE Rendering – Single Job, Tiles As Tasks” in tile menu.
I checked “V-Ray raw image file” to save .EXR file (I need this format for the Cryptomatte pass)
When sending the job to the farm using Deadline I have no issues but at the end of the rendering process, no image files are saved anywhere.

I have no issues when rendering in .PNG format using the “separate render chanel” or by disabling the VRay frame buffer. But this prevents me from having the Cryptomatte pass I need.

Can You help me ?

UP here, i have exactly the same problem :

• 3ds2020.3, vray 4.30 .01, deadline 10.1.6.4
  • trying to render, with vray frame buffer, Vray raw image file, multi part EXRs (beauty + render element in same file)

As the scene has no 3dsmax output, the deadline submitter doesn’t create output for the job and so Tile is not supported…

Any plan to fix this please ?

Thanks

1 Like

I’m hearing reports of this from other clients too, tile assembly failing

1 Like

Have either of you got a job archive where you’re seeing this issue?

I’m curious what the “submission params” section in particular shows, and what the renderer might be printing with regard to output.

If you’re not comfy putting up a job archive on the internet create a ticket at support.thinkboxsoftware.com and mention this thread.

Did this ever get resolved?

From what I understood

The issue is a regression introduced in DL 10.1.9 and will be fixed in DL 10.1.11

It wasn’t

Fix is in source code and needs a re-compile, no hot-fix easily available so options are:
Downgrade Deadline to 10.1.8 or earlier

Is it possible this will be released in the December 10.1.12 release?

https://docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/products/deadline/10.1/1_User%20Manual/manual/release-notes.html#general-improvements

I must have missed this bit

Was this a generic tiling issue?

Yes, it was a bug in the Deadline Worker code ignoring the property telling it to render a specific frame for Single Tile Rendering instead of the Task’s frame. So it was broken in every DCC that supports Tile Rendering, not just 3ds Max.

1 Like

that’ll teach me to read the release notes more thoroughly, I glanced through these bits and jumped to the application updates!

Thanks for clarifying

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences