AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Problem with the management of deadline cores with gen 12

Good, I have a i9 12900K just installed, and when I send test renders it does not run all the cores correctly from “Deadline”, it runs the 8 intel efficiency cores and not the main ones, if I change the affinity settings between the efficiency cores they do not work together, while if I run that render locally without deadline it fully renders all the cores.

Hi, I opened a ticket with thinkbox support and they replied that processors with E-Cores and P-cores deadline are not supported, I wanted to leave a record for future users and not to spend money on these processors at the moment, I post the solution that I have been given by the ticket.

I think E-Cores inside of P-Cores is a new architecture and Deadline does not support it yet. I read about it here: How 12th Gen's Hybrid Technology Works - Intel.

Further test to have a workaround could be to start two Workers on the same machine and give one all P-cores and the other all E-cores via Deadline’s CPU affinity and retest.

To start another Worker (name: -01), open up cmd:
cd %DEADLINE_PATH%
deadlineworker.exe -name 01

Then assign the CPU affinity to each worker as described and retest.

Just doing weekend checks here, so I can’t ask the person that worked on your ticket - how do the renders behave if you’re not overriding the CPU affinity in Deadline? I haven’t got a 12th gen CPU machine handy to test with but I’d expect the issue to be in the CPU affinity feature versus everything launched by Deadline.

I do believe that Deadline fails to register with the different core types, but without any affinity setup I’d expect the render to go through as if you’d started it manually.

It’s still an issue that needs to be fixed for sure!

1 Like

Good I want to update the case, after a few days of testing, If you have a Gen12 cpu you should switch to windows 11, so you can get the most out of it.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences