AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Question about this software

Whats Thinkbox Frost for?, I read the description but I just dont understand it, I mean, sounds like Krakatoa
What’s the difference between Frost and Krakatoa, and whats Frost for?

It is the equivalent of the 3ds Max Compound > BlobMesh object, but it is actually usable with large amounts of particles. It creates a blob mesh around the particles, or replaces each particle with a custom mesh. In other words, Frost lets you render actual geometry in any 3ds Max renderer like VRay, mental ray, Scanline, finalRender etc., BUT not in Krakatoa which does not render meshes but points.
Some people use Frost to convert LIDAR data (point clouds) to a renderable or 3D printable mesh. Others use it to mesh fluids like RealFlow or Naiad directly inside of 3ds Max, and interactively. We are working on a Maya version, too. I strongly suggest reading the Tutorials to get an idea of SOME of the Frost features,
thinkboxsoftware.com/frost-first-steps/
as well as watching the videos on the Frost In Production page:
thinkboxsoftware.com/frost-in-production/

If after perusing these you still don’t understand what Frost does, please feel free to ask for more details here…

Oh! I get it, Frost is a Mesher that allows me to mesh the particles and render with any render, thanks a lot bob!
also, any cool tips to make my fluid look like this:

The first 14 secs
youtube.com/watch?v=HRUeiwjTwGM

From minute 0:48
youtube.com/watch?v=oblaqMDSGKE

The first 17 secs:
youtube.com/watch?v=3toH3RPjw_c

Any help will be great! :smiley: thanks

If you have a Naiad sim, chances are your FROST mesh will look a lot like those :wink:

Thanks bob, will see if I can afford it, also, I’m confused with something O.o I thought krakatoa was a render, not a mesher like frost. so how this guy uses Krakatoa and Vray?
vimeo.com/10603108

I don’t get it

Often explanation is in video description.

Particles comes from Naiad. This was rendered with Krakatoa render [render pass nr.2]
Same particles was meshed with Frost and those geometries rendered with Vray render [render pass nr.1]
In compositing software - After Effects, both passes was merged to one image.

Hope that helps.

Oh I get it, my bad for not reading the decription, thanks a lot! :smiley:D I may have questions later xD

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences