AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Reduce BitDepth?

I’ve got some 16bit EXRs that I’m trying to batch convert to PNGs. My script works but it’s saving the PNGs as 16bit.

How can I tell Draft to down-convert to 8bit?

Best Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately, it’s not currently possible in Draft to set a specific bit-depth when saving an image to file. The good news is that this feature should be added in the next major Draft release (1.4). At this time, I can’t give you an exact date but it should be some time next Fall.

Kind regards,

Julie

Thanks for the quick response!

Will I ever see my TGA compression flag added to Draft? :slight_smile:

Hi Dave!

Actually, I just posted a new Draft beta build on the beta forum including support to control image compression and quality. If you have access to this forum, you can download the latest beta here: forums.thinkboxsoftware.com/vie … 25&t=13593

You can now control an image compression through Draft.ImageInfo() in the following way:

imageInfo = Draft.ImageInfo()
imageInfo.compression = 'rle'

image = Draft.Image.ReadFromFile( '//path/to/in.tga' )
image.WriteToFile( '//path/to/out.tga', imageInfo=imageInfo )

Then, to determine whether a TGA file is RLE compressed you can do:

imageInfo = Draft.ImageInfo()
image = Draft.Image.ReadFromFile( '//path/to/in.tga', imageInfo=imageInfo )
print "Image compression: " + imageInfo.compression

Note that you will need an updated Draft 1.4 license.

Have a great day!

Julie

Hi Julie,

So if I use this updated version of Draft, if I send a Tiled job from 3dsmax and the 3dsmax settings are to save the TGA compressed, then Draft will see that each tile is compressed and save the assembled image compressed too now?

Rgds

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes! This is the plan. Draft is in the hand of the Deadline people now and they are doing the testing. But this should work just as you described.

Kindly,

Julie

Parfait!

Hey Dave,

From my testing it all seemed to work as expected.

Grant

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences