AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Repopulating particles doesn't render

Hey guys!

It’s me again, I’m currently trying to do another Realflow/Krakatoa test where I have a river with some splashes.

So, when I’m trying to repopulate any of my PRT_Loader, it doesn’t render anymore under Krakatoa and when I disable it, I can see my particles without problem.

So basically I applied a Texture mod on each of my PRT_Loader. They render perfectly, but when I wanna add a Repopulate Mod, it just doesn’t show under the Render anymore.

Yes, I tried to look under your tutorials guide, and found nothing :slight_smile:

Am I forgotting something?

Thanks !

Some quick questions:

*Are you using the latest build of Krakatoa MY?
*What is the particle count reported in the Log? In other words, does it render a lot of invisible particles, or 0 particles?
*Does it render if you don’t apply the Texture and only Repopulate?
*What happens if you move the Repopulate above the Texture “modifier”?

Hi Bobo,

Thanks again for quick reply. Here’s my answer :

*Are you using the latest build of Krakatoa MY?
Yes no doubt about it!

*What is the particle count reported in the Log? In other words, does it render a lot of invisible particles, or 0 particles?
WITHOUT the repopulated splash :
Total number of particles to be rendered: 554,149
Total Memory Allocated to particles: 14 MB

WITH the repopulated splash
Total number of particles to be rendered: 3,993,786
Total Memory Allocated to particles: 106 MB

So basically it detects the particles, but doesnt seem to display them?

*Does it render if you don’t apply the Texture and only Repopulate?
*What happens if you move the Repopulate above the Texture “modifier”?
That’s what I tried to do, I moved up and down the modifier just to make sure it wasn’t making an interference, and yet, nothing.
Then I completly removed the texture modifier and repopulated my splash and again, nothing.

I though maybe it was because I had many PRT_Volume (3 differents for my splashes, and 1 for my main river flow) so I deleted all my splashes PRT and tried the same steps with the PRT I had left… still nothing.

It renders 46mil. particles when I repopulate the main river flow and it doesn’t seem to show neither in Alpha or RGB channel.

Any clue for this…? I just discovered that Repopulate Modifier tool and it’s very powerful I’d love to use it for different test purpose !

Thanks guys.

Try adding a “Set Float Channel” modifier and enter “Density” for Channel Name and 1.0 for value.
Then add your Texture and Repopulation modifiers and try again.

In some cases, RealFlow contains a Density channel with a value of 0.0. We will be fixing the PRT Loaders of all Krakatoa implementations to ignore that BIN channel in the future and expose it as something else (e.g. “RFDensity”), but it is possible that your particles are loading as fully transparent due to it…

As always, you found the solution for my problem!

But for my situation, if I put the Channel Value to 1, the particle becomes way too bold. So I tested it with a Value of .005 and the particles looks just perfect!

I would recommend using the “Set Float” (Density) modifier prior to the “Repopulate” modifier. That way the you get the nice density falloff from the repopulate.

So, a set up like this:

a) Set Float (Density=1… or whatever looks nicest)
b) Repopulate
c) Add Texture

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences