AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Rhino 6 no longer working with V-Ray?

I’ve tried this at a few places and getting the same result.

A Rhino 6 submission goes through and renders fine but using V-Ray causes it to fail.

On submission workstation and rendernode I can open Rhino/V-Ray and render fine.

If I submit via Deadline it fails to render, watching it on screen it opens the scene, flashes the frame buffer and closes. sometimes there is no image, other times I’ll get a black image (or many black layers)

I’ve tried running the command that Deadline runs and the issue is the same

"C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\System\Rhino.exe" /nosplash /runscript="_SetCurrentRenderPlugin ""V-Ray for Rhino"" -_LoadScript ""C:\ProgramData\Thinkbox\Deadline10\workers\node1\jobsData\12345abc0a00a000000a000\Setup_tempQPIck0\setup.rvb"" _Render Enter -_SaveRenderWindowAs ""Z:\2021_Rhino_Test\rhino_test.png"" -_CloseRenderWindow -_Exit No " "Z:\2021_Rhino_Test\Rhino_Test.3dm"

however, if I remove this part

" -_CloseRenderWindow -_Exit No "

Then the VFB stays open and the scene renders as expected. It feels like it’s closing the VFB to soon. Issue here of course is it doesn’t close Rhino down!

Has anyone come across this issue? I don’t remember this being an issue before with previous versions

I tested this on a fresh repo 10.0.29.0, 10.1.18.5 & 10.1.19.4 and still having the same issue.

switched off and on things like interactivity, follow the mouse, save/lock file, no joy. Changing CPU/CUDA/RTX makes no difference either.

removing this part completely
" -_CloseRenderWindow -_Exit No "
Does render and save (with the output specified in Rhino) but leaves it open

removing just the "-_CloseRenderWindow " part of this
" -_Exit No "
Does render correctly in the VFB and saves to the Deadline override but the image is just black. It closes Rhino afterward

removing the “-_Exit No” part
" -_CloseRenderWindow "
Opens the VFB and closes straight away and also leaves Rhino open

If I move that section to the end of the submission line it acts as if it’s not there and renders correctly, saves to the original location and stays opne

The rvb script it opens contains the following (this is written by the Deadline plugin Rhino.py)

Option Explicit
Dim vfr_object
On Error Resume Next
Set vfr_object = Rhino.GetPluginObject("V-Ray for Rhino")
If Err.Number = 0 Then
    vfr_object.SetBatchRenderOn True
End If

(I have a ticket 105092 open for this)

I’ve posted here to see if anyone from the Rhino forum can help

I’m guessing this is down to a formatting issue, removing the line I put earlier leaves Rhino open with the ‘browse’ on save window still open.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences