AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Rocky 9 as Server - MongoDB 6+ support necessary?

Hi there,

it looks like Deadline requires MongoDB 4 or 5, but for Rocky 9 we got only MongoDB 6.0.4+ as seen here

I tried to install Deadline and it seems to be possible to set up everything, but DB operations seem to produce errors, which I guess has the reason of the version mismatch.

Is there any way or plan to add MongoDB 6 support? Or anyone knows a sneaky trick to get things running on Rocky 9?

Best
Lukas

Could you pull the MongoDB 5 installers from the community server install page and use those? Download MongoDB Community Server | MongoDB

Thanks so much!
I checked there already. Unfortunately, there are none provided - if I select MongoDB 5, I can only go up to Rocky 8, but there is no installer for RHEL/Rocky 9.
As seen in the link I posted, the support matrix shows that for RHEL/Rocky 9, the lowest supported version unfortunately is 6.0.4.

Ah right, you may be hooped in that case. I’d be tempted to give it a shot, which feels more palatable than downgrading the OS.

I tried and installed MongoDB 6 as 5 isn’t possible to run.

Whenever I try to submit sth, this is what I get

Error: An error occurred while trying to connect to the Database XXXXXXXXXX. It is possible that the Mongo Database server is incorrectly configured, currently offline, blocked by a firewall, or experiencing network issues.
Full error: An exception occurred while sending a message to the server. (FranticX.Database.DatabaseConnectionException)

Hello

Mongo 5 and 6 are not support in Deadline yet. however I have seen Mongo 5 working but I have not tried it myself.

Why does Mongo 5 not run on your system? What is the error you get?

MongoDB 5 is supported for sure in Deadline, it even is recommended, as seen in the Documentation :slight_smile:

https://docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/products/deadline/10.3/1_User%20Manual/manual/quick-install-db-repo.html

As said, again, Mongo 5 is not supported in Rocky 9 - there is no installer provided by mongodb. Please refer to the link I posted in the first post, it shows a list which mongoDB version is supported in which OS, and for RHEL/Rocky 9, the lowest supported (and provided) version is MognoDB 6.0.4. It is only mongoDB 6 and mongoDB 7.
It is simply not possible to install MongoDB 5 without a provided installer for the specific OS.

So to be precise, it looks like currently it is not possible to run the Deadline Repository on a Rocky 9 machine, as we do not have a compatible mongoDB Version that both runs on Rocky 9 AND is compatible with Deadline.

I gotcha. I would try to download Mongo 5 for RHEL 8 (or max version available) give it a try. Check if there are any libraries which are missing and download those as well.

Or try to install it on a system with supported OS and move over to the Rocky 9 server after installation. It might work.

unfortunately it’s not possible to install the RHEL8 version, it throws an error.
I’ll experiment with a dockerized solution, that might work.

1 Like

Well, looks like it is easy, we have a mongo:5.0.22 docker on dockerhub.

Get docker for your machine, and then run this in a terminal:

docker run --name mongodb -p 27017:27017 -v /PATH/TO/DeadlineRepository10:/data/db --restart always -d mongo:5.0.22
  • Make sure to set the /PATH/TO/DeadlineRepository10 according to your installation, when installing the DeadlineRepository.
  • above, we mapped port 27017, so select “connect to existing mongoDB” and set the Port to 27017. 27017 is the mongoDB default port. Deadline likes to use 27100 during install as default. You can map accordingly if you wish to, I went with the mongoDB default.

Have fun using Deadline on Rocky 9.3! :slight_smile:

2 Likes
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences