AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Sketchup vray and deadline

Software used:

• Deadline v7.2.0.18 R
  • Sketchup v14.1.1282
  • Vray for Sketchup 2.00.24942 (adv)

We have been trying to get Deadline working with Sketchup + Vray for some time. I realize its not a priority for Thinkbox but we have about 100 users in our office here that could benefit from this, so its very, very important for us.
Have Thinkbox successfully tested Deadline with Sketchup + Vray?

Here are the issues we are having at the moment, when submitting a SKP Vray job to deadline (using the submit sketchup to deadline plugin within sketchup):

error log:

Not sure if this error in saving the jpg is due to the renderer not actually running (it just seems to jump from rendering the scene to trying to save it, ie just trying to save a blank image) or due to a pathing issue (seems to be mixing up / and ).

1. There doesn’t seem to be a way of picking the camera / scene to render. If a file has multiple scenes or cameras there doesn’t seem to be anywhere in the deadline submission dialogue to select the camera / scene. When the Deadline opens the file on the render slave it seems to default to the last camera / scene.
  2. Note: Submitting to deadline without checking the “Use Vray” checkbox does result in a standard sketchup render. Ticking the box results in zero render.
  3. Not ticking the “submit SketchUp scene” checkbox results in an error.

I imagine the warning (where the no button is being pressed) relates to a “this file is open elsewhere … do you want to open the file as readonly?” dialogue box or something similar.

I don’t want to post a sample scene to a public board but would be happy to send you a scene to test and run through our exact workflow if you provide me with a contact person …

Thanks
Tony (Gensler London)

Hi Tony,
Internally, we dismiss all Dialog messages by forcing a “No” to all dialogs that appear. Sketchup does not allow us an option to suppress dialogs, so this is the workaround we have in place (otherwise a job would hang permanently). This however, sometimes hides actual problems. The most common problematic case I’ve seen is this dialog is the one you mentioned:
“The file [FILENAME] is currently locked by another user. Do you wish to open this file as Read-Only?”

The only suggested workaround at this time is to always submit the file with the job.

If you have a scene file to help us reproduce the issues you are having, we will take a look. To send it to us, and not post on the public forum, you can email support@thinkboxsoftware.com with an attachment or link and we’ll get it.

In regards to setting the active camera, this is a good suggestion. We’ll take a look at adding it.

Hey Tony,

I am looking into these issues and adding the camera/scene options I just wanted to confirm one thing on that. As far as I can tell the scene and cameras are linked so would you be expecting just a single box for this option or am I missing something.

For the first one I am not sure why it is reversing the \ since the path printed and path that it is rendering with should be the same. However I am seeing that also and it is rendering fine. Just to confirm are you able to render the job from that slave outside of deadline and if so does it work. I am not sure why it is failing.

For the failing to render if submit sketchup scene is checked Conrad hit it on the head with the read only popup.

Grant

Thanks both for your replies.
I have been away and just saw these. As soon as I get a chance I will package up a scene and forward it to the email address provided above.
Cheers
Tony

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences