AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Small "bug" with CPU speed for one machine?

Deadline Version: 7.2.0.16 R (51587765f)
Windows 7 Enterprise (SP1)

one of our machines have a 3.4ghz cpu that is being reported at a 1.6ghz?
see attached image for more info.
it’s not important, but just thought I would let you know :slight_smile:

update: this also just happened to another machine that is running windows server 2008 R2 enterprise (sp1), the fun thing about that server is that it’s 1 in 10 that are 100% the same and only one of them say 1.2ghz the rest say 2.5ghz…

My understanding is that Deadline captures the actual current speed of the CPU (which can vary a lot thanks to Intel’s power saving technology), not the maximum speed it is capable of (which Windows reports). In earlier versions of the Deadline Slave (6.x), it reported the speed at the time the Slave application was launched. In Deadline 7.x, it is supposed to update the data more often.

Does this value change when the Slave is running at 100% CPU load (e.g. V-Ray rendering)?

Is it possible to change this to report the maximum cpu speed? Otherwise the farm utilization numbers will be skewed, no?

Yes indeed it does :slight_smile: thanks …

but I do agree with Laszlo, that it might make sense to have a “current cpu” and “max cpu”?

We can definitely look at querying the Max value, I’m sure there’s a system call somewhere that’ll get us what we need :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Jon

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences