AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Stoke and FumeFx different shape

Hi,

In these day I’m trying to make a something like nebula in FumeFx and Krakatoa.Using the pflow’s fumefx follow operator is a really frustrating and I realize that isn’t a good idea, so I tried use stoke, obviously is much more fast but the result is a bit strange :open_mouth:

I have simulated my fume fx grid with a FFX object emitter and cached out smoke and velocity channels.

this is the resulting shape from fumefx sim(the simulation have a enough low space setting)

dropbox.com/s/9fv0w6c64s8qx … toke_1.jpg

After the fumefx is complete I setted my stoke simulation as usual (youtube.com/watch?v=1mHBpG6XMkI) with velocity field and distribution my FumeFx sim.

but this is the result:

dropbox.com/s/ue9qiz588fa3e … toke_2.jpg

I made another screenshot to point out the difference between Fumefx shape and stoke shape(blue/red is fumefx sim and green stoke sim) :

dropbox.com/s/s7nkoxdyho8cn … toke_3.jpg

This is another example for point out better the difference

dropbox.com/s/5c4dzmpgvj34t … rror_1.jpg

and this is my stoke setting and rendered version
(int this screenshot the particle count is relatively low, but after I tried increasing the particles but the result is the same)

dropbox.com/s/szf2ja7nkjcft … rror_2.jpg

My question is what’s going wrong? is a FumeFx/Stoke workflow limitation or maybe something else? :question: :question:

Hope that my explanation is clear

Thanks in advance!

Using FumeFX as the source, particles will be born according to a special FumeFX channel exposed by the FumeFX SDK (which is neither Fire nor Smoke) that denotes that a voxel should be emitting. Looking at the result, it appears that the locations are quite plausible, but since you are comparing to Fire and Smoke, it is NOT the same. If you want to emit particles according to the Fire and Smoke channels, you should be using a PRT FumeFX object for the seeding, and emit particles from it’s particles. This way, you can check both “Seed In Fire” and “Seed in Smoke” and tweak the Fire and Smoke “Minimum” thresholds to get particles where you want them.

Then there is the question about the Velocity. I see your Stoke is using a Scale of 2.0. If you had particles emitted throughout the whole smoke volume, I assume they would also move accordingly. As you had the “wrong” initial positions in your test, I assume you tried to speed up the core particles to get them where you expected them to be born, but it is hard to judge what the motion really was based on just JPGs. I would expect a Scale of 1.0 to be the right value…

Please let us know if this helps.
Also, please note you can attach images directly to your post and insert them in the post itself. Makes reviewing your screenshots much easier… :wink:

First of all sorry, I have not seen the upload button.

Today I have tested the PRT FumeFx obj. and is exactly what I’m looking for. The shape of my FumeFx sim and PRT now is the same.
Thanks a lot bobo you are my hero :smiley: :smiley:

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences