AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Stoke and Scale of Wind

I seem to be having trouble getting any really high frequency (in terms of the size of the turbulence, not the speed through time) turbulence using wind.

My scene is set to meters, and my source PRTLoaders are from realflow. So i scaled them up by 4000.

But when I use Wind I tend to get very large “curls”, whereas I want very small ones. I do not fully understand units and scale in Max yet. So this could be part of it. I increased the parameter precision to 7 decimal places, and I am trying a scale of 0.0000001 and still not getting it.

Is there some trick to get some fine scale noise? Is it because my PRTLoaders have been scaled? My stoke object has the default 100 scale.

Thoughts? Is there a better turbulence to use for small details?

At default scale (1GU = 1 inch), the best settings for Wind turbulence in Max are 0.01 and Scale 0.05. Watch my Stoke videos, I use that all the time. The smaller the values, the larger the features of the velocity field. You should have watched today’s Stoke webinar, I talked about that too. (Another one coming tomorrow).

So if you are getting very large curls, you should INCREASE your Scale. Today during the demo I entered 0.5 by accident instead of 0.05 and got a lot of high-frequency noise. It is a bit counter-intuitive, but that’s how it is.

Sorry I missed the webinar. Didn’t realize it was today. Is it posted online somewhere?

I finally figured out that I had to increase the scale value (like Fusion’s Fast Noise)… Duh…
Thanks!

There is another one tomorrow morning, 8:30 am PDT.
We will post the videos once both are recorded and we pick the best of both.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences