AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Stoke interaction with deflectors

Hi Bobo,

I created a simulation in Realflow -> Exported PRTs . I now want to reflow the simulation to drop on a set frame with a gravity and collision object (deflector), while ignoring the existing velocity on that frame.

Is it possible to achieve this collision? Do I use Pflow or is does Magmaflow have the capability to achieve this via a Force Field Source? I’m using Stoke 2.

Also, any tips / tutorial documentation for Realflow ->Stoke workflows? I’ve got other minor issues I’m trying to resolve by learning Stoke further. If I can’t figure it out, I’ll make a thread inquiring.

Thank you!

Will

There are two possible approaches I can see here.
One would be to use the Krakatoa MX PRT Birth and PRT Update operators in PFlow to load the RealFlow particles and send to a new event where gravity and collisions take over. This could be done with the license-free Evaluation mode of Krakatoa MX. Here are two videos showing a similar situation of a pre-existing PRT sequence switching to free fall via a deflector:

Part 1: youtube.com/watch?v=Ps1FWERTRrs
Part 2: youtube.com/watch?v=n2OPHxFCp_8

Note that there is a problem with the UI of the Krakatoa PRT Update operator in Krakatoa MX 2.3.1. If you have that version (it is the latest), I can send you a patched DLL that fixes the issue, or you could use an earlier build.

Using Stoke 2, it would be possible to create a Stoke Field Magma that loads the velocities from the RealFlow simulation and then switches to a Gravity on a given frame, but creating collisions is a bit hacky. Currently, the only way would be to build a “repulsive field” around the collision object that accelerates the particles away from the object, but this is not exactly the same as a deflector. You can see a short video demonstrating this using a pre-simulated FumeFX and a Sphere as repulsing field here:
youtube.com/watch?v=59RULFidW_Q
Since you will be taking over the velocities anyway, your Stoke Field Magma could set the Velocity to 0.0 in proximity to the collision surface to stop the particles completely when simulating in a Stoke Particle Simulator. But creating a good bounce effect would be tricky.

We have real collisions on our Wishlist for future Stoke versions.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thank You, Bobo,

I am using Krakatoa MX 2.3.1, we have a licensed copy of Krakatoa MX and Stoke 2. I will contact you via support line or email to get the patched DLL you mention.
I understand the example you gave for Krakatoa, so I will attempt that method after I get the patch from you.

I am still trying to understand Stoke’s features in regards to reflow and fields. I do a lot of Realflow and FumeFX work and would love a guide on most efficient workflows. - My goal being to simulate Realflow with a lower resolution so that Stoke can populate the particles I need to create the effect I desire. In some of my tests, Stoke randomly births particles, instead of birth from the realflow emission origin. - Sorry to start a new issue in this thread, but is there other Stoke documentation or tutorials available? When I can get Stoke to work the way I want, it is amazing!

Thank you,

Will

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences