AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Sub Sampling

I have a particle simulation that as a LOT of particles being emitted VERY FAST. When I play it, normally, I see a “steppy” pattern. To fix it, I set the playback step to 0.2 or even 0.1 and the problem goes away, and my particle system looks great.

BUT… when I’m ready to export this as PRTs, I end up with 10x as many PRT files as I should have… one for every SUB STEP, not one for every FRAME.

Is there a way to ONLY write out the PRTs for the FRAMES, while still sub sampling the particles in Maya?

Thanks.

-Will

Good point!

The initial version of the saver did NOT support sub-frames, so the beta testers complained. :slight_smile:
We fixed it to do what you described, but you are right that in some cases you might want to advance the simulation at sub-steps, but only save the full frames.

It should be quite easy to add an option to the script to support both approaches - saving every sample, and saving only full frame samples.

I will log it as a Wish List item, but I am quite sure anyone with moderate MEL knowledge could tweak the script to do what you asked for…

Gotcha. Excellent work listening to the beta-testers.

Sounds like you fixed what they wanted, but in an equally restrictive way. It’s a tough balancing act.

As for me, I’ve been using MEL for 13 years, and while I could probably go in and fix your software, I’m more comfortable letting you handle that. As, I’m sure you would be.

Thanks for the heads up.

-Will

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences