AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

transforming vertices problem....

Hey -
I have a fairly hi-poly Frost mesh - viewport mesh at 1, render at 3, and it simply dies trying to run that. I’m having some luck by matching the viewport and render mesh resolution, but it’s forcing me to use settings that won’t cut it for the job.

Is there anything else in the Frost settings that might cause it to hang at “transforming vertices” when rendering? I’m using Max 2013 and Vray 2.4 Other Frost meshes are working fine, but this one is a beast (viewport poly’s are around 3-5 million)

/b

are you running out of memory?

note even close. Max is only using around 2GB. There is lot’s of room in that respect.

I assume you’re using a 64-bit build of 3ds Max?

Sorry, nothing comes to mind. Would it be possible for you to please send us a copy of your scene file? You can send us files using our ticket system.

Yep, 64bit. I’ll post a file.

/b

2 gigs could be a 32 bit issue, that was my second choice but you already cleared that up!

cb

yeah, there are 24GB on this machine, but it’s not really looking for any more RAM, at least not at that phase.

We managed to convert the viewport mesh to an editable poly at 3 (which was where the render was set before) and converted it to a vrayproxy. That renders in seconds. I can understand that the Frost mesh might not be as fast as the editable poly/proxy, but it’s a huge, huge difference.

Anyway, that still isn’t high enough res, so if we can’t do a rendertime mesh with Frost we might be hooped :frowning:

/b

Just FYI.

“Transforming Vertices” is a joke.
When Max was written, the default text that appears in the Render progress dialog was hard-coded to read “Transforming Vertices” because that was the first thing the Scanline Renderer was doing.

Today, with all 3rd party renderers, that text means “the renderer hasn’t had a chance to update the progress yet, so you are seeing a default string that does not mean vertices are actually being transformed” :slight_smile:

In other words, in your case it means Max crashed before VRay had the chance to set the text to the real progress message…

Thanks Bobo - I dug around your forum and saw that it was probably meaningless, but at least it is some kind of indicator that there is possibly a problem of some kind… Hopefully the scene will help suss it out.

b

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences