AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

TV Paint development

Hey,

We have taken the TV Paint plugin, and customized it further to have the option of rendering a single layer, which you can get in the attachment.

We are now running into trouble, where TVP will crash but the TVP process isn’t terminated, resulting in the job being stuck for hours.

Is the only way to solve this, to add a task time limit?
TVPaint.zip (5.7 KB)

Here is a example of the crash:

Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: TVPaint Animation 11 Pro (64bits).exe Application Version: 11.0.0.0 Application Timestamp: 54d23c8e Fault Module Name: TVPaint Animation 11 Pro (64bits).exe Fault Module Version: 11.0.0.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 54d23c8e Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Offset: 00000000004a1f99 OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48 Locale ID: 2057 Additional Information 1: 5792 Additional Information 2: 579251c467a3b1959dfe56187c02b84b Additional Information 3: 82fb Additional Information 4: 82fb9b22c3dd5c84deda95cfd5a7dec1

Capture.PNG

Is it possible to catch these Windows popups with the “PopupHandling” some how?

You can tweak the registry settings on the machine to suppress those crash dialogs, which will allow TVPaint to exit immediately when the crash occurs. Check out or Render Farm Considerations documentation for more info:
docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produc … on-windows

Cheers,
Ryan

Thank you Ryan:)

Will report back if we get any other issues.

Getting the same issue, but different dialog;

Capture.PNG

Looks like there’s also an option to stop the UI from displaying:

stackoverflow.com/questions/2875 … -windows-7

I’m curious about the registry answer to be honest. If it works, I’ll add it to the docs.

I dug a little deeper into what the issue actually was. Apparently you can’t load the same project file on two machine at the same time. This explains why the issue was so infrequent and random.

The solution was to modify the loading process, to continue trying to load the project until successful. I’ve attached the solution.
Basically it’ll compare the blank project id, to when loading a project. When the project id changes, the project has been successfully loaded. The function loops indefinitely until it loads the project successfully.

You could work around the problem by submitting the project file with the job, but we don’t.
TVPaintSubmission.zip (7.27 KB)
TVPaint.zip (5.88 KB)

Thanks for the bug report, and for providing the fix! We’ll test it out here and hopefully include it in the next release if all goes well!

This fix reduced the problem, but still not eliminated it.

The crash reports are still freeze the slave, and preventing task failure. We are working about the problem with tasktimeouts, but would like a solution for this.

Any ideas anyone?

Maybe the solution is to make a copy of the project file before loading it.

Unfortunately the problem isn’t loading the same project file on two machines at the same time, because we have been rendering on one machine and still experiencing the crashes:(

Well, the big problem here is that the pop-up is at the OS level instead of at the application.

It looks like there’s another key to set in the registry. Based on this here: neowin.net/forum/topic/10557 … ng-dialog/

Looks like you want to set this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\DontShowUI]
Create a DWORD and set the value to 0.

That’ll get around the problem of the crash window sitting open for good (or so I hope!)

I’d send some reports over to the TVPaint folks. I can show you how to isolate it away from Deadline.

Thanks, but it didn’t solve the problem:( Crash reports are still popping up.

Well then. Can we set up a call sometime soon? Can you e-mail me your availability and we’ll play around with this? You can get to me directly at edwin@thinkboxsoftware.com.

It’ll have to be in the new year:)

Will email when I get back.

Sounds good sir! Enjoy yourself (hopefully you’re taking some time off :slight_smile:)

Should have replied earlier, but we got past these problems and now have a plugin that is fully featured for workstation rendering.

You can grab it from this post.

One problem we haven’t been able to solved, is when rendering as a different profile. Here there aren’t any access to the license dongles TV-Paint provide, so we resorted to logging into the machines that needed to be rendering.
TVPaint.zip (6.6 KB)

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences