AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Two objects repelling each other's meshes

Hey All,

I’m meshing together two pieces of geo, and the connection point is causing a hole in the mesh. Its like one object mesh it repelling the other.

Any thoughts on making that one cohesive surface?

~tsp

Are you using the Anisotropic meshing mode? If so, perhaps you could try turning down the “Position Smoothing”?

Other than that, nothing comes to mind for me. However, I’d be happy to take a look at your scene file. You can send files to us using our ticket system. You may need to ZIP the file to get it through.

I’m using Zhu/Bridson. Maybe adjust the Blend Radius? Low Density Trimming is currently inactive.

I’ll try and post up the file for you.

~tsp

Right, lowering the blend radius may help.

I guess the problem is caused by the great difference in the density of vertices in the green vs orange mesh? You could try:

1. Increasing the number of vertices in the green mesh, or decreasing the number of vertices in the orange mesh, or both.
  2. Download Krakatoa, if you don’t have it already. The free version will work fine for this. Create a Krakatoa - PRT Surface, and add the orange and green meshes as sources. Then remove the green and orange meshes from Frost’s list of particle sources, and add the PRT Surface instead.

Just a note that the PRT Surface object is fairly new and is available in the latest Public Beta builds of Krakatoa (e.g. v2.1.8) found here:
thinkboxsoftware.com/krakato … ilds-beta/

Thanks Paul,

I redid most of the connecting strands to be driven by the PRT Surface. The result is much cleaner and much faster.

However, when I tried to put the lofted object into the PRT Surface, I was able to generate particles, but the Frost would crash every time I updated the mesh. I also duplicated the loft and cached it to try and simplify it (the loft was being driven by a spline that was skinned to a deforming Alembic object). So the new object was an Editable Mesh with a Cache. Still continually crashed Frost when using it in the PRT Surface/Frost approach.

So I just frosted the mesh directly. And it worked.

Moral of the story? I came up with a solution, but I don’t know why the scene was crashing with the PRT Surface. Maybe I’ll check the latest Beta build and give it another try…just to see

Thanks for your assistance.

~tsp

Hey Todd,

If you have a simple scene that we could use to replicate the crash, it would be awesome!
(esp. if it crashes even after collapsing the source meshes to EMesh so we don’t have to deal with Alembic)

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences