AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Unable to get Redshift usage based licensing to work

Hello,
I’m trying to get usage based licensing licensing to work with Redshift standalone.
Here is a quick overview of the scenario:

The repository machine runs windows server 2016,
the render nodes run Ubuntu 18.04.

I want to render the “vulture.rs” file from the Redshift website using the Redshift commandline renderer.
When I do so, the render node renders the image with a watermark meaning that no license is available.
Note: I do get V-Ray usage based licensing to work just fine and I use it regularly.
I did purchase the deadline_redshift_50_hours package, added the correct “limit” to the job.
Even though I think I did everything correctly, the image renders with watermarks.
It also looks like the node is communicating correctly with the license forwarder.
Here is some debugging info:

This is the log file from the render node:
https://pastebin.com/5ytwPcRe

It seems to establish a connection to the license forwarder but does not pull a license.
The only noticeable lines regarding this issue within the log file are:

At the beginning of the log file:

1. 2019-01-01 16:07:52: Port Forwarder (redshift:5054): Port forwarder created.
  2. 2019-01-01 16:07:52: Port Forwarder (redshift:7054): Port forwarder created.
  3. 2019-01-01 16:07:53: Message From License Forwarder: Success: Machine registered (fvfx-rnlx-001/::ffff:10.142.2.1).

Just before Rendering:
4. 2019-01-01 16:08:04: 0: STDOUT: License error: License subsystem failed to initialize (0)
6. 2019-01-01 16:08:05: 0: STDOUT: Failed to load file /root/redshift/redshift-core2.lic (does not exist). Will have to communicate with server.

At the end of the log file:

1. 2019-01-01 16:25:44: Message From License Forwarder: Success: Machine unregistered (fvfx-rnlx-001/::ffff:10.142.2.1).
  2. 2019-01-01 16:25:44: Port Forwarder (redshift:5054): Port Forwarder shutting down.
  3. 2019-01-01 16:25:44: Port Forwarder (redshift:7054): Port Forwarder shutting down.
  4. Success

This is the output of the license forewarder:

This is how the “license limit” looks like, this limit is also assigned to the job:

This is how the Usage based licensing settings look like:

Any hint on what I’m doing wrong would be very nice.
-Robert

Hey Robert,

Redshift has two installers, floating and node-locked. Redshift UBL requires the floating version of Redshift to be installed on the render nodes. You can see this stated in the job report where the license failure is

This version of Redshift does not support floating licenses.

To get the floating license server installer you will need to reach out to Redshift support.

Regards,

Charles

Thank you for the hint! I’ve contacted the Redshift team about it.
-Robert

Any way you could email me the installer of 3.0.36 or up? Also contacted Redshift, but hate to wait haha!

Any way you could email me the installer of 3.0.36 or up? i’ve contacted RS, but im in a pretty urgent state of getting my renders working.

I sent you a private message on how to do this, Redshift don’t post it online to try and avoid piracy (lol)

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences