AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

URGENT: RC3 Lightning 3DS MAX Failure

Error in RenderTasks: RenderTask: Unexpected exception (Failed to allocate Bitmap: TheManager->Create() return NULL ] NetRenderPreLoad passed

0: INFO: >Scanning Renderer Paths... 0: INFO: >Done Scanning Renderer Paths. 0: Plugin rendering frame(s): 7 0: INFO: Render Tasks called 0: INFO: STARTED 0: INFO: Lightning: Render frame 7 0: INFO: Lightning: Overriding save file option to 1 0: INFO: Lightning: Rendering frame W:\temp\AE Deadline test\teapot.0007.exr

Nothing renders now. Everything returns this error. Even just with a scanline Teapot. Looks like Lightning got screwed in RC3

RC1 and RC2 as well. Which is weird because I thought we were on RC1 already.

Ok something is weird. I worked my way all the way back to the previous version, version by version (apparently I was a ways behind. And each one died). But then I stepped forward again and submitted a new test job and it’s working now.

This one still won’t work. (attached).
gpaquin__3dsmax__test __53757498b5b7e16490312a19.zip (62.1 KB)

Ok, re-updated after downgrading to .24 and it working. reUpgraded to .26 and now it fails again when I submit a new test job.
ggreenwalt__3dsmax__Untitled 3ds Max Job __537577b1b5b7e16cd41d172c.zip (76.7 KB)

I resumed an old job submitted from .24 though and it will render (see attached) on .26.

So what that tells me is that it’s something in the .26 submitter which is failing the jobs, not .26 the renderer.
ggreenwalt__3dsmax__Untitled 3ds Max Job __5375754bb5b7e16c7c5774d9.zip (81.9 KB)

Confirmed. < .26 jobs render fine on <.26 slaves. .26 jobs don’t render under any build.

Which version of Max? I’ll test these scenes against RC3 today.

Nevermind. I just imported the job and can see it’s for Max 2014.

Try this. Open SMTD, go to the Tiles tab, and in the drop down select the FULL FRAME option. If it’s already selected, select something else and then switch back. Then submit the job again and see if it works.

I was originally able to reproduce your problem, and after I did the above, I can’t reproduce it any more.

I did some more digging, and it looks like the only way this could have happened is if the internal SMTDSettings.RegionRenderingMode property was set to something that is no longer valid. I’m guessing what happened is that when the sticky settings were loaded in after an upgrade, the value that was previously stored was no longer a valid one. So the submitter thought region rendering was enabled because it wasn’t set to #none, but because it was an invalid value, no other region settings were set, and thus an attempt was made to render an invalid region.

We’ll be fixing the potential for this issue to occur by making sure SMTDSettings.RegionRenderingMode is set to a valid value during submission.

Cheers,
Ryan

Switching back and forth in the tile rendering appeared to fix it. Thanks!

Digging one out of the grave here I know… but I always like to share solutions to problems.

In case anyone is searching for the following error with Deadline
“Failed to allocate Bitmap: TheManager->Create() return NULL”

and the above solution doesn’t help. It might be that your pixel aspect ratio is set to something stupidly tiny like 0.0001. Took me a while to find out this was causing the same issue on one of our jobs.

1 Like
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences