AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Use Prt's to Advect PFlow with Stoke

Hi, I’d like to use my Realflow Sim to advect my PFlow particles

I saw a demo @ Siggraph where Stoke was being used as the “glue” between Naiad and std Max Geo so I’m sure I can use a similar method by creating a velocity grid (driven from my realflow prt’s), then place that grid around my PFlow setup and have the Realflow velocities affect my current PFlow setup.

Is this correct? and if it is how would I go about setting this up?

Thanks
Nic

Hi Nic,

Stoke 2.0 (which we were showing at Siggraph) will make this quite easy - create an Ember grid around the PRT Loader, use the new ParticleSplat operator to get the velocities on a grid (equivalent to what Stoke 1.0 does for particle to velocity field conversion), and use the Ember Follow operator to drive Particle Flow particles with that.

It can also be done in Stoke 1.0, but in a more round-about way. You would pick the PRT Loader as Velocity Field Source in a Stoke object, and replicate the PFlow particles with Stoke particles. Then you would simulate the Stoke particles and use Krakatoa PRT Birth/Update to bring these new particles into another PFlow that you can assign shapes to and render as usual.

Obviously the first approach is significantly more flexible since you drive directly your PFlow without intermediate simulation, but since Stoke 2.0 hasn’t even been released to the Beta testers, you cannot do that just yet…

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences