AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Using Vorticity in PRT files exported from Houdimi

Is there any way to be able to use attributes exported from Houdini using the PRT Export ROP node? Specifically. Every tutorial I have seen uses Max, and everything just seems so easy in Max version compared to Maya.

I have tried using , with the name “vorticity” but that gives errors.

In the Copy Channel modifier, Vorticity is nowhere to be found in any of the channel drop down lists, which it seems to be in every Max tutorial I have seen

Could you provide at least one frame from your PRT sequence to take a look at its content?

Sorry for posting under a different name. Still waiting for my account to be activated.

I am unable to attach files but I have put a frame up on Dropbox from a test sim I did.

dropbox.com/s/hxodwv1i188b4iv/vort.46.prt

I loaded the file in a KMX PRT Loader and took a look at its channels.
It appears to contain only Position and Velocity and nothing else. Obviously, your exporter did not write the Vorticity out, but it would be difficult to tell why as we don’t have our own Houdini exporter at this time. This one does not appear to be based on the exporter code we posted recently on GitHub since it is only PRT 1.0 specification (no metadata for scale and axis orientation). Our latest libraries should support the PRT 1.1 spec.

Can you tell us more about the PRT exporter you used?

forums.odforce.net/topic/19125-p … ntry116758

I am using the Houdini PRT ROP Driver from here, as it is the only one I have found anywhere that is already compiled and actually works.

forums.odforce.net/topic/19125-p … ntry116758

I am using the Houdini PRT ROP Driver from here, as it is the only one I have found anywhere that is already compiled and actually works.

https://github.com/FictionIO/PRTRop is the code I think.

That exporter only seems to support

mapRef[ "P" ] = "Position"; mapRef[ "v" ] = "Velocity"; mapRef[ "N" ] = "Normal"; mapRef[ "Cd" ] = "Color";

I took a look at our exporter and it does not support Vorticity either (although it does support more channels than the ones listed above).
thinkboxsoftware.com/news/20 … -on-g.html

Could you contact the developers of the ROP at Robotika and see if they could add more channels?

Did you try the binaries on our github page?

github.com/ThinkboxSoftware/HoudiniPRTExporter

Windows
thinkboxsoftware.box.com/shared … vmf5rv.zip

Linux
thinkboxsoftware.box.com/shared … 5vtgjs.zip

:blush: my mistake, I totally missed that part of it…

They are for Houdini 12. I am using Houdini 13

Also, I think you are right in that the exporter doesn’t explicitly export vorticity, as it is not a standard attribute in Houdini fluid systems, but it should allow you to map attributes to any channel you want by supplying the channel name.

Eg my sim has vorticity calculated post-sim, and in the ROP options, it automatically picks up any attributes that are assigned to the particles I am exporting, such as pscale, vorticity, and gives a box to enter the PRT channel to map that attribute to.

I’ve attached a screen shot of my params panel showing this

OK I’ve managed to get my vorticity into the PRT files now. I’m not sure what happened or why it didn’t work before.

I now have vorticity in Maya using the PRT loader as a Float32 value. Now to work out how to use it properly :smiley:

YAY! Very happy to hear it worked! Let us know if you have any other issues.
Are you running KMX v2.3 with Magma channel editing?

It’s KMY, not sure of the exact version I’d need to check at school, but yes, it has Magma

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences