AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

vdb questions

Before I spend a large amount of time figuring out the details. Can someone please tell me if it is remotely possible to import FumeFX fxd sequence from Maya and convert it to Open VDB? I then want to bring that into XSI to render in Arnold. I know… im nuts. But I appreciate anyone taking just a second to say, yes or no.

Maya’s FXD files are identical to the 3dsMax FXD files and should load without any problems in Stoke.
I had some Maya FXD test sequences on my drive, so I just loaded them in a Stoke Field Loader and they appeared (with correct Z-up transforms, all channels and everything) in Max.

All you need to do is open the Stoke Field Data Exporter, pick the Stoke Field Loader, and write an OpenVDB or Field3D sequence.

If you want to remap the channel names from Smoke, Velocity, Fire, Temperature etc. to something else, you can create a Stoke Field Magma, create an InputField node to load the FXD data, then output all the available channels to new Output nodes with the channels you want to save. Then pick that object and use the Stoke Field Data Exporter to write an OpenVDB or Field3D sequence.

If you don’t have Stoke 2, send Sales AT Thinkboxsoftware DOT com an email and request a 15 days evaluation license.

This sounds very promising. I will get the eval asap. Thank you for taking the time to give me such a detailed response!

hmmmm. I’m using Fume v 3.5.4. Is that supported? I am getting an error from the field loader when trying to load this sequence.

MaxKrakatoa: Could not load FumeFX.dlo. Please disable FumeFX from rendering using the pushbuttons in the Krakatoa GUI

Here is a test sequence from Maya if anyone wanted to confirm if it loads or not.

christopher-mccabe.com/fumecachetest.rar

Wait a second. Do you have FumeFX 3.x installed in 3ds Max? It is a prerequisite for reading FumeFX data. Only the saving of FumeFX data is supported by Stoke 2 without a FumeFX installation:

thinkboxsoftware.com/stoke-m … -exporter/

I don’t think you need a LICENSE for FumeFX in Max though, I believe it will read the data even if it is not licensed. The lack of license blocks the UI and the simulation, but I think reading data should work.

It worked for me because I have FumeFX 3.0.2 (an old version, I know) installed in 3ds Max.

I am using Fume in Maya. I do not have Fume for Max. Crum. No other options for converting this data to VDB?

You need to install SOME version of FumeFX 3.x in Max. Check your email for details…

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences