AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Web Service: Root Location Not Default

Firstly, I’d like to apologize for my lack of knowledge upfront. I am an artist for a very small company that is stumbling my way through all of this.

I am trying to set up the Web Service functionality for our Deadline, for another artist and I have been stumped almost at the very start. Our deadline is not installed in the default location, and when I try to start the web service exe, it gives me an error that it cannot find the things it needs because it’s not in the default location! Anyway I can tell it to look where we do have it installed? Thanks in advance!

LaJolly,

Someone please chime in and correct me if I am wrong, but sounds to me like you possibly have a borked DEADLINE_PATH environment variable?

Within command prompt on Windows run the command ‘set’
This will dump all system and user environment variables.

The default deadline path should be:
DEADLINE_PATH=C:\Program Files\Thinkbox\Deadline10\bin

All thinkboxes executables live there. Something else you should try is to cd to that directory, and run deadline webservice from there, it should give you more output as to what the error could be. Posting the specific output or error youre getting would be helpful for thinkbox to debug.

Also do not forget about the windows namespace reservations referred to here:
https://docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/products/deadline/10.0/1_User%20Manual/manual/web-service.html

“It is recommended to use a server based Windows OS such as Windows 2003, 2008 R2, 2012 or newer.”

For this reason I prefer to run the deadline webservice from a linux based server. But a server OS in general will handle more concurrent connections than running it from a client OS. Hope this helps!

Cheers
Dan

1 Like

Hey, thank you so much for your reply! I’ve got it all set up and it’s working, wow! :smiley:

Hmmm… DEADLINE_PATH should only be needed for the submitters, but that’s an excellent reply Dan. Thanks for that!

@LaJolly the logs really are helpful. Running from the command line is a good way as @Daniel_Halloran pointed out, and we’ve also got a little folder we hide them in.

Glad to hear you got it straightened out @LaJolly !
And anytime @eamsler
I thought Id try to help here as I was in a similar boat when we first tried the web service.
Thanks for the insights and the path only being a requirement for the submitters
Logs are indeed our best friend. Take care!

ack, I am running into another problem. It seems that I’ve been successfully able to run and use the Deadline Mobile app when connected to the local network at our office, but it fails to work when disconnected. I’m assuming this is because the IP address of our server is private, it is also part of a workgroup (no domain). Does this mean I need to set up a proxy server where the web service runs from? I appreciate any input! Thanks @Daniel_Halloran and @eamsler

I’d assume the easiest way to solve that securely would be to build VPN connection to your office. Then you should be able to use it like you were at the office.

Hmm, is there any other method of doing this? I am hesitant to change my Deadline Server’s IP for a bunch of licensing reasons. If this is the only way to do what I need, I’d like to get that confirmed by a Thinkbox Staff member, @eamsler ? Is this the case? Thanks for all input!

VPN shouldn’t require you to change your deadline server’s IP. In fact it shouldn’t require you to do anything to deadline. Unless I’m missing something?

Sorry I’ve been away here. I agree that the VPN is the way to go. The web service does not encrypt it’s data so if you aren’t using a VPN I would highly recommend setting up a proxy and using a certificate. Installing certs onto your phone is going to be a little tricky but can be done.

Again, the VPN is the right way and I would not recommend exposing the bare web service to the Internet.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences