AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Wiil be X mesh available for other softs?

Hi guys, will be Xmesh available also for houdini and maya, if yes can you tell us when?
Now the only interchangeable format for changing mesh exports is alembic, which is not for max, and i thing xmesh will be better. But if will be alone im max it cant be widely used in pipelines for interchange

Thanks a lot

Yes, as mentioned on the product page, we have other versions for other applications at various stages of development.
In fact, the Alpha build of XMesh for Maya was already used in VFX production by one company, moving Thinking Particles data from Max to Maya.
And Blur Studios moved data from Softimage to Max.
We don’t have a Houdini version yet.

Thanks for answer, hopefully you will have a time to develop also houdini port. Second question what i have, is possible when i get data from max to maya with xmesh, to cache it in maya with alembic and send it to houdini? Thanks a lot

I don’t see why not, geometry is geometry. Not that I have tried it myself, but it sounds like it should work.

I was hoping that Mudbox might be on that list somewhere. I’m not sure about the plugin access Mudbox has, but a very common workflow is to import mudbox FBXs and convert them to proxies, whether mrProxy, vrProxy or Xmesh. It’d be helpful to skip the import/conversion step and write it straight to the file.

Hi,

Is it possible to beta test the xmesh loader for maya? I really need it!

Stir you can send a short email to beta@thinkboxsoftware.com with your forum username and license details and mention that you would like to participate in the Xmesh Maya beta and we will get you set up.

Thanks,
Ian

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences