AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

xMesh Houdini

Hi,

I searched and only found an almost year old thread about this and I was wondering if there had been any thoughts or progress on an xMesh loader/saver for Houdini? Personally I prefer xMesh over Alembic and to get it into Houdini would be a great thing.

Tobbe

Thank you for your feedback!

XMesh for Houdini is on our wish list, but we have not started to develop it yet.

if you are interested in us doing something for a project, we would be happy to discuss a professional services model to get something ready for your production

cb

I’ll bring that up to the people in charge, that’s good to know. Thank you,

Tobbe

Any update on this? Is this something that’s even on the ToDo List at some point? Alembic isn’t really a great solution and is very slow. Having xMesh to get stuff out of Houdini would be just amazing.

There is no update on this yet. I fully agree about Alembic’s speed though :slight_smile:

Current plans include finishing the XMesh for Maya and creating XMesh for Nuke. But looking at the XMesh poll from last year, Maya had 30% of the votes, Nuke and Houdini had about 15% each. So it would be the next logical step after the other projects are done I guess. But please don’t read too much into my answer since I don’t make the plans…

It might be time to revive this thread; Houdini is steadily gaining popularity as an FX tool, and I could see XMesh as bridging the gap in pipelines that revolve primarily around Max/Maya, especially considering that there doesn’t currently seem to be anything else that gracefully handles meshes changing topology (Alembic still sucks). Should we hold our breaths for a Houdini plugin, or would we be better served writing our own for the near future?

We don’t have a timeline for it yet, but Houdini is the next platform that we plan to support in XMesh.

That’s good to hear :slight_smile:

In the mean time, I’ve been messing around with the format a bit:

vimeo.com/119281752

My main interest is to push for some Houdini adoption at our currently Max-centric workplace.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences