AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

3ds Max 2021+ Bake To Texture SMTD Workflow

As you are probably aware, 3ds Max 2021 and higher offer a streamlined Bake To Texture implementation with a clean API and scripting exposure.

The 3ds Max Integrated Submitter (Submit Max To Deadline, aka SMTD) shipping with Deadline currently only supports the old Render To Texture feature via a dedicated Workflow. The old implementation had several limitations, including single baked images being saved with a frame padding, and the UI requiring you to select the objects to bake.

The attached prototype of a Bake To Texture SMTD Workflow implements the new feature set and removes most of the limitations of the Render To Texture system.

If you use the new Bake To Texture feature in 3ds Max 2021 and higher, and would like to expand it to a Deadline render farm, please give this one a try. Once we have collected enough feedback and confidence that it works properly in the Real World, we might include it in a future build of Deadline.

The script was developed using 3ds Max 2021.3. Some features might operate differently in earlier product updates. The Workflow will not be visible in 3ds Max 2020 and earlier versions. Once 3ds Max 2022 support appears in Deadline, we will work to ensure it behaves properly there, too.

MAXScriptJob_BakeToTexture2021plus.zip (6.9 KB)

To install and access,

• Unzip the content of the archive into your DeadlineRepository10\submission\3dsmax\Main folder.
  • Restart the Submit To Deadline (SMTD) script.
  • Select “Submit BAKE TO TEXTURE (3ds Max 2021+) Job To Deadline” from the Workflow list.

User Interface:

To use,

• Click the “OPEN the Bake To Texture Dialog…” button.
  • Configure Bake To Texture maps as usual.
  • Press the “UPDATE From Bake To Texture Dialog” button to refresh the summary info and enable the SUBMIT button.
  • Select the Bake Mode - this is the major improvement over the old Render to Texture Workflow which always added padding to the baked image:
    • ONE MAP PER TASK - If baking a Single Frame, use FRAME 0, NO Padding - in this mode, the Job will contain as many Tasks as there are active Maps in the dialog. If the Render Setup dialog is set to Current Time, each Task will bake a Map at time 0, and the image will have no 0000 frame number padding. If the Render Setup dialog is set to any frame range, each Task will render multiple images with padding as usual.
    • ONE MAP PER TASK - If baking a Single Frame, use PADDED Frame 0000 - Same as above, but if the Render Setup dialog is set to Current Time, each Task will bake a Map at time 0, and the image will have 0000 frame number padding. If the Render Setup dialog is set to any frame range, each Task will render multiple images with padding as usual. These two modes let you bake in parallel on multiple render nodes.
    • ALL MAPS IN ONE TASK - If Baking a Single Frame, use Current Time, NO Padding - In this mode, a Job with a single Task will be submitted, and the Task Frame will be set to the current scene time. The Task will loop through all Maps and render all of them using the Render Setup dialog settings. If a single frame is requested, then the Task’s Frame time will be respected, and the image will have no frame number padding. The main benefit of this mode is the ability to render a specific single frame without padding.
    • ALL MAPS IN ONE TASK - If Baking a Single Frame, use PADDED Current Time - Exactly the same as the previous mode, except baking a single image per Map will have the correct frame number padding. These last two modes use a single render node for all maps, so there is less overhead between maps, and processing a large number of very fast bake renders would take less time. You can render a single frame with padding using Render Range with Start and End set to the same value, or using Pickup Frames, so you can employ any of the 4 modes for that.
  • Click the SUBMIT button.

Some confirmation dialogs will pop up:

• If the render output path is set to a local drive, a warning will be displayed.
  • An overview of the submission settings will be shown and requires a confirmation:

The script will apply path mapping to the output folder specified in the Bake To Texture dialog, so it should respect Deadline’s Mapped Paths rules, and work with AWS Portal (however it has not been tested yet).

An idea for possible future improvement would be to add an option to run a local or farm-based Bake To Texture process with tiny resolution stand-ins to process any Material/Map creation and set up the scene with baked images, then process the full resolution baking in the render job to overwrite the stand-ins.

Please use this thread to post bug reports and ideas for improvement. If it just works for you, be sure to report that too so we can collect both positive and negative feedback.

2 Likes

Great! Let me check this ASAP.

Hi,
I had posted a script error in here but turns out that there was something wrong with my scene.
Your script works great :slight_smile:
Thanks!

Chris

Hey @Bobo,

I did more testing and I can’t get the workflow to work. I keep on getting the error attached.
Any idea what it could be?
I’m using:
3dsmax 2022.2
Corona 7 hotfix 1
Deadline 10.1.16.9

Error log: deadline error - JustPaste.it

Let me know if you need anything else from me.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi everyone,
Just following up on this, am I the only one running into this issue?

Thanks!

Chris

I am sorry, I left Thinkbox in December and have not been to the forums much in the past 4+ months. Also my current job does not involve using 3ds Max.

From the log it appears that 3dsMax simply crashes without providing any other info about what went wrong.

Thanks @Bobo for your answer! I’m thankful that you took the time to look at the log even though you’re not at Thinkbox anymore.

Yes unfortunately it seems like a 3dsmax error but there isn’t much info about what the error could be. I’ll keep on digging and sending some test to hopefully figure out what the issue is.

If anyone runs into the same issue, please let me know.

Thanks

Chris

Hi everyone,

I wanted to follow up on this since it’s been a while and I still ideally would need this.
Is anyone at Thinkbox working on this at all or is this not on the road map?

Thanks!

Chris

I’ve been taking a look at this recently, but the link to the logs is barred by AWS IT, if you’re having issues could you share what you’re seeing? No promises though I’ll take a look!

Thanks for looking into this, I had lost hope :slight_smile:

See below the log of a test I just ran with 3dsmax 2024 and Deadline 10.3.1.3
https://jpst.it/3I3vC

Chris

Could you archive the file and put it up as an attachment? JustPasteIt is blocked on our network.

No problem, I didn’t think about zipping it, I think that’s why I used justpasteit last time since you can’t just upload a txt file.

Anyways, See below.

Thanks

Job_2024-05-06_10-34-36_6638ea7b4a29dc7c24456919.zip (10.4 KB)

Sorry about the delay here - thanks for getting back to us after such a long time by the way!

There’s nothing obvious in the render log for us to run with - Max just dies wordlessly on us. This is going to need some engineering attention as I’m not sure what thread to start pulling on at the moment.

We know it’s something Deadline is doing, as in working with Corona in this thread here we were able to re-create the crash only in Deadline and not outside of it.

Sorry to get your hopes up, I can’t say anything about where a fix lives in the roadmap either.

I’ll be back in here if we have a work-around or similar.

No problem, I had given up on hope to get it fixed so I am still using the old render to texture which works fine.

Hopefully this gets fixed eventually.

Thanks for looking into it!

Chris

@christopheC I know this is an old thread. What is the old render to texture you are referring to?

Kenc

Hi @KenC,

I was talking about this one which can be rendered with deadline

Chris

@christopheC OK I am aware of that feature.
I am the one in the thread above pointed out by @Justin_B .
Since MAX 16 and continuing through MAX 19, I have a massive script that submits DEADLINE jobs for bakes. We create a library of thousands of pieces of furniture and has worked fine until MAX 21 came out. I am currently working with MAX 24. I am submitting to DEADLINE purely by script and now it no longer works. I do not use any of the submission dialogs.

Kenc

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences