AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

3ds Max 2023 Support

Hey @Luca_Ceriani

If you have not changed the job type it will keep on using same plugin it copied. So you might have changed the plugin in the Repo the Worker cache needs to updated.

To do that the easiest way to test is to re-load plugin between the tasks. It is not recommended for rendering because it takes more time to render (loading and unloading plugin on every task ). So for any job you are trying to test> right click it> Modify Job Properties> General> Re-load plugin between tasks. Then retry, if it still fails, check if you have got a copy of plugin in the [repo]/custom/plugins/3dsMax/, if you have this plugin will used rather than the one in the default folder. So you will need to make changes to that plugin. If it still fails attach the copy of 3dsmax.py you have got in [repo]/custom/plugins/3dsMax/ or if you do not have it in custom get from [repo]/plugins/3dsMax/

Hi,
thereā€™s no custom plug-in for 3ds Max, everything is done with the standard .py file

In the meantime, I updated 3ds Max to 2023.2, with the same results. Updating Deadline requires going through some internal company loops, and Iā€™ll test that when I can.

Out of curiosity, I created a simple scene with a cube and a light (no maps, no external references) and that did render via Deadline.
However, the moment I add a texture or an external reference (I work with XRefs a lot), problems start.

Iā€™ve done some testing, and here are the results, logs and .py file. All have been done with the ā€œReload plugin between tasksā€ checked. All tests were done with Max 2023.2, Deadline 10.1.22.5, and a scene I would normally work with.
ā€œPluginModā€ indicates I used the popupignorer line found earlier in the thread, Popuphandling Enabled/Disabled is for the option @anthonygelatka suggested.

PluginMod_PopuphandlingDisabled.zip (41.5 KB)
PluginMod_PopuphandlingEnabled.zip (41.5 KB)
PopuphandlingDisabled.zip (47.4 KB)
PopuphandlingEnabled.zip (45.6 KB)

Hello @Luca_Ceriani

I checked the log and 3dsMax.py plugin file you have attached. In the attachment " PluginMod_PopuphandlingEnabled.zip (41.5 KB)" the job report does not seem like the job is failing on ā€œScripting Listenerā€ popup. This is some other issue with Max file not being able to load.

In this case I think you should open the scene on the render node and try rendering with in Max. Do you see any errors?
The popup handling is supposed to be on and the plugin should be modified to ignore Scripting Listener.

I have a silly question about ā€œDā€ is it a Network Drive?

Hi @zainali

the scene loads fine in 3ds Max and D:\ is a local drive. Due to IT policies I cannot have all the scene data on a single network drive accessed by all computers, but I have to copy scene data on all rednering machines. It has worked well since I started using Deadline some three years ago.

About the ā€œfail to loadā€ error, I think it might be related to 3ds Max 2023. I am encountering a lot of problems trying to load big scenes using a lot of XRefs, though the scene I used for the examples above always loads without a hitch in 3ds Max 2023.

As mentioned in my previous post, scenes load fine as long they donā€™t use XRefs. If I add even a single external reference, and that reference has a cube with no materials or maps applied, the scene fails to load.

I have opened a thread in Autodeskā€™s forums detailing the problem but so far no luck in getting a reply.

Hey @Luca_Ceriani

This needs to be investigated further. There can be two ways to test it further.

1. The one I mentioned in my last response to open the scene directly on the render node via 3dsMax and render it inside of Max or
  2. Submit the same job using 3dsCmd first (hereā€™s how to install it) after it fails to render follow here to isolate the issue from Deadline.

Please share the logs for both the tests.

Hello Ant

Iā€™m trying to reproduce this issue myself, we need to test why the popup appears. Is it becuase of our code or 3dsMax itself. I have not been able to reproduce the issue. When you get a chance can you attach a test scene here.

Thanks a lot

Hi @zainali,

thanks for the support.
Iā€™m now 90% sure itā€™s 3ds Max 2023ā€™s fault. I created a test project and made it similar to other projects Iā€™d normally work on in directory structure, MXP project file, Deadline presets, etc.
The test scene I rendered (found in 0-test\assets) works fine in both 3ds Max and Deadline.

Happiness.

Changed to a ā€œrealā€ project, and the problems persist. Scene renders fine in 3ds Max 2023, but launching from Deadline returns to the same ā€œfailed to loadā€ or the mysterious pop-up.
So, Iā€™d say itā€™s 3ds Max 2023 handling large XRefs incorrectly.
Unfortunately still no reply from Autodesk support on the matter (3ds Max 2023 crashes with XRefs - Autodesk Community)

I tried rendering with 3dsCmd but I always get the same error in all projects, no matter the configuration.

DedlineTestProject.zip (550.0 KB)
Job_2022-10-04_06-50-06_633bbb7e4238da2284671beb.zip (2.5 KB)

Has there been any resolution to the popup error?

Error: FailRenderException : 3dsmax startup: Error getting connection from 3dsmax: Dialog popup detected: Title ā€œScripting Listenerā€, Message "MAXScript "

I am also plagued with the mystery ā€œScripting Listenerā€, Message "MAXScript " error. Iā€™d like to start using MAX 2023 and Deadline

TIA

1 Like

I am having the same problem with rendering Max2023.2.2 scene in Deadline 10.1.23.6.
Error: FailRenderException : 3dsmax startup: Error getting connection from 3dsmax: Dialog popup detected: Title ā€œScripting Listenerā€, Message "MAXScript "

I tried updated 3dsmax.py file. It helps only for simple scenes. But scenes with any plugins still generate errors in Deadline.

Hello

Thanks for sharing the data with me. I suggest you cut us a support ticket. with the archived job attached to it.

I have figured out that this is V-Ray 6 causing such errors. It looks like current version of Deadline cannot handle V-Ray 6. I had 3ds Max 2022 with V-Ray 5.20 working fine. But after installing V-Ray 6, render farm stopped working, causing errors, similar what I had with 3ds Max 2023 and V-Ray 6. I had to roll back to V-Ray 5.20 and wait when Deadline will be tweaked to work correct with V-Ray 6.

Hey guys
I just recently have been getting this error as well. One of my artists updated 3dsmax 2023 to a newer version than what is on our farm.
His version was:
The farm version is:
This caused a chamfer plugin version issue pop up.
I proceeded to update one farm node to the latest version:
This is where I began to see the errors. I will probably have my artist revert and also revert the node to version 2023.1 as a temp fix.
Would like to see if there is a better fix incorporating the latest version of 2023 moving forward.
Currently on Deadline version:
10.1.23.6 Release
Hope this helps
cheers~

Below is the culmination of all the info above, with some fixed code (as earlier mentioned code fixes had incorrect syntax)

• Go to the machine where the repository is
  • Go to the plugins folder: C:\DeadlineRepository10\plugins\3dsmax
  • Open/edit 3dsmax.py
  • search for'self.AddPopupIgnorer(".*Scripting Listener.*")'

if itā€™s not there:

• go to around line 3170-ish (or search for
        # For Brazil 
        self.AddPopupIgnorer(".*Brazil Console.*")

above that code, add:

# Ignore Scripting Listener popup
        self.AddPopupIgnorer(".*Scripting Listener.*")

for some reason even the 10.1.23.6 install didnā€™t have this fix implemented properly.

1 Like

This problem still seems to be unresolved in Japanese. Of course, if you force the rendering in English, everything works fine.

Try this in 3dsmax.py
# Ignore 3dsMax Scripting Listenerer (JPN)
self.AddPopupIgnorer(u".ć‚¹ć‚ÆćƒŖ惗惈 ćƒŖć‚¹ćƒŠćƒ¼.")
I added the code

SyntaxError : ("(unicode error) ā€˜utf-8ā€™ codec canā€™t decode byte 0x83 in position 2: invalid start byte",)

The job fails with an error.
Is there any solution?

We only support running renderers in English so thereā€™s only so far we can go in fixing this.

However for your issue weā€™ve seen this before in this thread

Assuming what worked there will work here; write # -*- encoding: utf-8 -*- after #!/usr/bin/env python3 and it should be happier.

Even after adding that magic comment, the error was still output.

We only support running renderers in English

I understand. Thanks for the response.

1 Like
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences