AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

"Connect to Worker Log" does not do anything

Not exactly sure when this broke but suddenly the button to “connect to worker log” doesn’t seem to do anything anymore. The Monitor Console reports "Connecting to Worker log: " but the log window never shows up.

I’ve got another user on a different machine that is also experiencing this.

have the IP’s of the machines changed? or do they not resolve? could this be network related?

Pretty sure that’s not the case since sending commands to the workers works just fine, and it’s literally for all machines, workstations and render nodes. All of them don’t work.

I know that sometimes if deadline can’t connect to a worker log I would get an error message but even that doesn’t display. Nothing happens… that’s the weird thing.

Does it work if you run ‘Show Worker Log’ for the local machine, this should remove the network part.

Does the console window reveal anything?

Are you running the Worker as a service or different user than is logged in?

EDIT: I think the jobs are sent via the DB, so go to the server, where as connecting to the Worker log expects to connect directly to that machine

No dice if doing it for my local either.

Have tried with installed as service and installed normally.

Console just says “Connecting to Worker Log: <name_of_the_worker>”

https://docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/products/deadline/10.1/1_User%20Manual/manual/worker-config.html#general

If you configure the override with the IP address can you connect that way? is there a firewall or any other settings which may have stopped the access?

Nope, doesn’t change a thing :frowning:

Could you try streaming the log from a command prompt with DeadlineCommand?

cd /Applications/Thinkbox/Deadline10/Resources # For Mac
cd /opt/Thinkbox/Deadline10/bin                # For Linux
cd "c:\Program Files\Thinkbox\Deadline10\bin"  # For Windows
deadlinecommand -InternalConnectToSlaveLog "<workername>" -1

If that works, it’s possible PYTHONPATH is being set to a location with a different version of PyQt installed. Check Additional Search Paths in Deadline or see if the systems environment is being set via another method. The different PyQt version is causing the creation of the streaming log window to fail.

If it doesn’t work, we should get an error back from DeadlineCommand that we can use to keep digging.

2 Likes

This is a great hint!

Qt: Untested Windows version 10.0 detected!
Error importing module 'DeadlineUI.Forms.GeneralForms': ImportError : No module named QtChart (Python.Runtime.PythonException)
An error occurred while connecting to the Worker:

ImportError : No module named QtChart

We are setting a global PYTHONPATH, I shall have a look if QT is in there

1 Like

So yes, we had a extra python search path set in the repository settings which included QT5.

It works again! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue after updating my repo to 10.3.1.3 “connect to worker log” does nothing, and when i put the

cd "c:\Program Files\Thinkbox\Deadline10\bin"  # For Windows
deadlinecommand -InternalConnectToSlaveLog "<workername>" -1

commands into a CMD i get this.:

c:\Program Files\Thinkbox\Deadline10\bin>deadlinecommand -InternalConnectToSlaveLog "CG08-GROOT" -1
Error importing module 'DeadlineUI.Forms.GeneralForms': [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'C:\\Users\\admin\\AppData\\Local\\Thinkbox\\Deadline10\\pythonAPIs\\8oI2s+G2DZfcng9zEWRA==\\six.py' (Python.Runtime.PythonException)
An error occurred while connecting to the Worker:

[Errno 13] Permission denied: 'C:\\Users\\admin\\AppData\\Local\\Thinkbox\\Deadline10\\pythonAPIs\\8oI2s+G2DZfcng9zEWRA==\\six.py'

also when using the ‘monitor’ on a laptop (not the repo machine). it works properly. (its a mac).

This can happen when the Worker’s local storage has a mix of permissions due to being started under different users. Basically this means that the Worker doesn’t have permission to read the PythonAPI files under the current user. The fix is to stop the Worker\Monitor then empty the pythonAPIs directory. Then when the Worker\Monitor gets started it’ll copy the files with permissions it can use.

That full path to pythonAPIs depends on the operating system:
Windows: C:\Users[username the application is running on]\AppData\Local\Thinkbox\Deadline10\pythonAPIs
Linux: ~/Thinkbox/Deadline[VERSION]/pythonAPIs
OS X: ~/Library/Application Support/Thinkbox/Deadline[VERSION]/pythonAPIs

this worked. thanks!

1 Like

I’m able to connect to logs on osx, but not on windows.

• Checked path for conflicting qt installs, seems clean.
  • there is only a single python instance in AppData...pythonAPIs
  • Ports should be open
  • Don’t have a pythonpath env set
  • I see the following error

c:\Program Files\Thinkbox\Deadline10\bin>deadlinecommand -InternalConnectToSlaveLog CGI-02 -1
Connecting to CGI-02…
RemoteLog: connecting to machine ‘CGI-02’ which resolved to ‘xxx.xxx.xxx.76’ port 56965
Making a connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.76’ port 56965
QRegularExpressionPrivate::doMatch(): called on an invalid QRegularExpression object

Is there a way to get a more detailed log or fix error?

Thanks! 
Zach
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences