AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Deadline 10 and 3ds Max Submit Error

I would also like to know more about this fix. I had to change the client installation from GUI to service so I can run them without having to log in to a windows account, but since that, I get a WHOLE LOT of these:

Error: 3dsmax startup: Error getting connection from 3dsmax: Monitored managed process “3dsmaxProcess” has exited or been terminated.

So that must be related.

I tried following your workaround @jrosen but I get blocked by not being able to delete the service account userfolder entirely (because of PythonSync.lock)

Anyone from the Deadline Devteam willing to help me out here ? @MikeOwen

Which version of Deadline are you running? The correction was for a copy of 10.0, which is exceedingly long in the tooth at this point. And which version of Max? Just in case this was a 10.0 and Max 2018 issue.

And all I know from Error: 3dsmax startup: Error getting connection from 3dsmax: Monitored managed process “3dsmaxProcess” has exited or been terminated. is that 3dsMax crashed. I agree that the GUI->service transition is the likely cause, but I’d rather be sure. It could be that you’re rendering with a GPU that’s not accessible from a service, or some other hardware issue.

Could we get a task report to go over?

Hi @Justin_B I just PM’d you a zip with a couple of task reports, I figured having more to compare might help.
We’re currently using Deadline 10.1.23.6 with 3ds Max 2023.3.4
We’re not using any GPU rendering at all (Only CPU with Vray 6.20.02)

There’s two failure types in the task reports (with unique names replaced). one where it looks like one of your mapped drives isn’t getting set up correctly, and that’s why the service users’ having issues. Windows considers them a unique user.

ERR: [12188] [11484] [V-Ray] Failed to initialize proxy object "proxy_name" with file "X:\path\to\myfile.vrmesh": file not found

And further up in that same log we see the mapping failing:

2024-01-31 12:29:04:  0: Error mapping X: to //server.local/folder: The specified network password is not correct.

I’d imagine the password in the Monitor under Tools → Configure Repository Options → Mapped Drives isn’t correct, but doesn’t need to be used with you’re running a Windows GUI user, so it’s been able to be incorrect for a little while.

The other kind of failures are the “3dsmaxProcess” has exited or been terminated errors. And I’ve got no clue what’s causing the failure here. The last thing we get from Max is ‘Updating objects’:

2024-01-31 12:33:55:  0: INFO: Preparing objects
2024-01-31 12:33:55:  0: INFO: Loading bitmaps...
2024-01-31 12:34:24:  0: INFO: Updating objects
2024-01-31 12:34:24:  0: INFO: Updating objects
2024-01-31 12:34:26:  0: WARNING: Monitored managed process 3dsmaxProcess is no longer running

Take a look at the Troubleshooting Render Issues in 3ds Max article, in particular the bits to run the render with batch mode disabled. I’m hoping we’ll get more information from 3dsMax when it crashes, since without batch mode we’ll be running 3dsMax directly instead of via a socket.

Hi Justin,

It does indeed look like it has to do mostly with the mapped drives part.
As GUI user, we use those (for quick access to fileservers), but I can’t have them mapped both as renderuser (service) using Repository Mapped Drives settings AND Gui user at the same time. Luckily we switched 3ds Max to convert paths to UNC a while back and I now use Deadline to replace paths to UNC (using Mapped Paths from repository settings).

I updated our custom submitter to run a script presubmit to convert any assetpath in scene to UNC and do the same using a recursive function on any xref’d scene using maxscript getMAXFileAssetMetadata before submit, so hopefully this will alleviate the issue.

1 Like
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences