AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Deadline 3ds max 2022 python exception

Hi,
we recently update to Max 22 and Dealine 10.1.16.9. In every job we send we get a lot of Python.Runtime.PythonException errors and we are not able to solve it. All jobs wil finish eventualy, but these error slowing things down.

error log:

Error: FailRenderException : RenderTask: Unexpected exception (Monitored managed process "3dsmaxProcess" has exited or been terminated.
)
   at Deadline.Plugins.DeadlinePlugin.FailRender(String message) (Python.Runtime.PythonException)
  File "C:\ProgramData\Thinkbox\Deadline10\workers\bl9-03\plugins\60ed54146fa1912248e9f27d\3dsmax.py", line 378, in RenderTasks
    self.MyMaxController.RenderTasks()
  File "C:\ProgramData\Thinkbox\Deadline10\workers\bl9-03\plugins\60ed54146fa1912248e9f27d\3dsmax.py", line 1581, in RenderTasks
    self.RenderFrame( frame )
  File "C:\ProgramData\Thinkbox\Deadline10\workers\bl9-03\plugins\60ed54146fa1912248e9f27d\3dsmax.py", line 2458, in RenderFrame
    self.PollUntilComplete( not self.DisableProgressUpdateTimeout )
  File "C:\ProgramData\Thinkbox\Deadline10\workers\bl9-03\plugins\60ed54146fa1912248e9f27d\3dsmax.py", line 2870, in PollUntilComplete
    self.Plugin.FailRender( "RenderTask: Unexpected exception (%s)" % e.Message )
   at Python.Runtime.Dispatcher.Dispatch(ArrayList args)
   at __FranticX_GenericDelegate0Dispatcher.Invoke()
   at Deadline.Plugins.DeadlinePlugin.RenderTasks()
   at Deadline.Plugins.DeadlinePlugin.DoRenderTasks()
   at Deadline.Plugins.PluginWrapper.RenderTasks(Task task, String& outMessage, AbortLevel& abortLevel)
   at Deadline.Plugins.PluginWrapper.RenderTasks(Task task, String& outMessage, AbortLevel& abortLevel)

also in log is always this warning

WARNING: Python version for '3dsmax' plugin is not specified! Defaulting to Py2.

Which is strange because max 22 is py3 only. Why is this warning showing and how we can force it to use py3.

Thanks for any help.

Hello!

WARNING: Python version for '3dsmax' plugin is not specified! Defaulting to Py2.

refers to the Deadline Application plugin’s Python version. We’ve added the ability to run the plugins with Python 3 but haven’t re-written the plugin yet. Don’t worry about this, it’s not effecting your render.

This error:

Error: FailRenderException : RenderTask: Unexpected exception (Monitored managed process "3dsmaxProcess" has exited or been terminated.
)

means that the 3dsMax instance we started for rendering has shut down and we didn’t tell it to. Look near the bottom of the task report and you’ll see the last thing that Max printed before it shut down.

Hmmm. Theres nothing interesting. All errors are same.

I can’t paste whole log so there it is.

Looks like the render if failing once V-Ray starts up.

Try re-submiting the job with the 3dsCMD submitter so that we’re not communicating with Max over a socket. This means that when Max shuts down we should catch the final output as it’s run directly by the Deadline Worker.

If you run this scene outside of Deadline on the render computer, does it still fail?

Also, you should be able to attach the task report file to your post if you don’t want to have to use pastebin.

How to do this? I never use anything else that SMTD. And for the second question, NO on local workstation it works just fine.
Thanks

You can use the Submit->3D->3DS Command submitter from the Monitor to create a 3dsCMD job.

To be clear, if you run the scene from the bl8-05 computer it succeeds?

Ok thanks I will try it. This error is not related to any render machine. Sometimes it throws up this error and sometimes it renders fine (on same machine of course).

Hmm… its not possible to run it localy because licencing and at the same time a cant use 3dsmaxcmd because our pipeline submits a lot of enviroment variables with the job and max cant start without them. So whatws now? I cant catch anything because log dont whow any relevant info :confused:

Okay, so we’ll have to test on a render machine as those will have licensing set up.

Depending on how the pipeline is adding environment variables you can add them manually.

To do that, submit the job as suspended so we can edit it. Then double click on it and go to Environment and add the needed Key/Value pairs.

If the pipeline uses JobPreLoad scripts, you’ll have to check them to see which variables are getting set. Those will be in the [repository]/plugins/3dsMax directory.

Ok I manage to use 3dsmaxcmd and get some errors.

Sorry its not possible to uploat txt file or more than 2 link here :frowning:

And the last one.

No news? I’m still not able to find out anything from logs. :frowning:

Sorry about the delay!

I’m not seeing any Deadline errors in those logs, but =======================================================Error================ - Pastebin.com calls out “Unsupported save version” so I’d make certain that there aren’t any issues with the scene.

I can’t find any concrete leads to what an unsupported save version might be, but it sounds like maybe the version of Max you’re submitting from doesn’t match the version on the worker machine. Do other scenes have this issue?

It may happen that some render node doesnt have newest version, but this not the problem. But I have just foud that vray is crashing the scene. And its crashing it because of TX files in scene, which is weird because on workstations its absolutely fine. I have sent this report to chaos group, but maybe there is some problem inside deadline asset management (path remaping?) and tx files?

Thinking of path mapping, there is something odd there:

CheckPathMapping: Swapped "Z:\18155\work\EDIT\SQ0190\SH0100\lighting\work\scenes\SQ0190_SH0100_lighting_v090.max" with "Z:\18155\work\EDIT\SQ0190\SH0100\lighting\work\scenes\SQ0190_SH0100_lighting_v090.max"

What do your path mapping rules look like? I wouldn’t expect it run unless changes needed to be made. Though it could just be chatty.

i dont know what this mean :slight_smile: path looks correct

In the Monitor under Tools → Configure Repository Options → Mapped Paths, have you got anything set up in there?

No its empty.
(post must hame minimum 20 characters…blabla) :slight_smile:

Hi guys,

Was there any update/fix for this? We’ve just upgraded to the latest version of Deadline and are also having issues with Python exceptions.

3DS Max CMD submitter seems to be working (although this isn’t ideal) but the SMTD script is not. The issue is not apparent on all scenes that get submitted, although sometimes the ones that fail do kick in eventually.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences