AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Deadline 3ds max 2022 python exception

Just to follow-up on Sam’s message, 10.1.17.4 3ds max SMTD is sending jobs from both 2020 + 2022 that then fail to render on the Workers, throwing up the same Python-related error messages.

Not ALL 2020/2022 scenes fail to render - simpler ones seem fine - but more complex ones fail. This leads me to think that it might be related to specific plugins used in the scenes, perhaps particular vray or corona things or something like this. As soon as you send the same jobs via the 3ds max CMD submitter they work fine (but the submitter is super limited) so it must be related to the full 3ds max SMTD.

We can’t roll back to 10.1.16.9 since the OP in this thread was on that version and had the same issues, and the only other available version of Deadline for max before this doesn’t support 2022 at all… so we’re stuck having to totally ditch 2022 and roll back to 10.1.13.2 which is frustrating.

We would appreciate some urgent help with this if possible!

Right, in that case then we’ll have to see what Chaos Group thinks of this issue as Deadline shouldn’t be touching any of your file paths.

To be specific by Python related error messages do you mean this one?

WARNING: Python version for '3dsmax' plugin is not specified! Defaulting to Py2.

This one can be ignored it has nothing to do with the render itself and is a side-effect of us moving to Python 3. The ‘3dsmax’ plugin it’s talking about is the Deadline Application Plugin that’s still running Python 2.

Is the error more like this one?

Error: FailRenderException : RenderTask: Unexpected exception (Monitored managed process "3dsmaxProcess" has exited or been terminated.
)

If this is what you’re seeing, then Max is crashing or closing without warning and there should be more info in the render log.

I’d have to see some logs to be more helpful though. And if this is urgent you’re better off creating a ticket at awsthinkbox.zendesk.com or calling 1-866-419-0283 ext 2 from 9am to 5pm Central Standard Time.

Hi Justin,

Yes I’m sorry to hijack the OP’s post but I believe it’s likely the same issue as they’re having.

Here’s the first dodgy-looking bit from the log:

Error: FailRenderException : RenderTask: Unexpected exception (Exception caught in 3ds max: – Syntax error: at keyword parameter, expected

and…

at Deadline.Plugins.DeadlinePlugin.FailRender(String message) (Python.Runtime.PythonException)

and…

2021-08-04 17:28:28: 0: WARNING: Python version for ‘3dsmax’ plugin is not specified! Defaulting to Py2.

I am not sure if there’s more stuff in the log that points at issues but that’s all I can see.

I can confirm that rolling back to 10.1.13.2 has fixed the issue in 2020, but of course means we can’t use 2022 at all.

I already submitted a ticket yesterday but no response so far unfortunately. I may try to get on the phone tomorrow about it. The trouble is, there’s no way of testing any of this without a full deployment of Deadline with all nodes + submitters, which is a huge task and results in so much downtime for the studio sadly.

There’s also this from the job log:

=======================================================

Type

RenderPluginException

Stack Trace

at Deadline.Plugins.SandboxedPlugin.d(DeadlineMessage ber, CancellationToken bes)

at Deadline.Plugins.SandboxedPlugin.StartJob(Job job, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

at Deadline.Slaves.SlaveRenderThread.c(TaskLogWriter aix, CancellationToken aiy)

Log

2021-08-04 17:28:28: 0: Loading Job’s Plugin timeout is Disabled

2021-08-04 17:28:28: 0: WARNING: Python version for ‘3dsmax’ plugin is not specified! Defaulting to Py2.

As an aside, is Corona 7 not yet supported by Deadline at all, regardless of Deadline version or max version?

Could you share the whole logs instead of snippets?

Stuff that looks like FailRenderException and Deadline.Plugins.DeadlinePlugin.FailRender are from the application plugin code. The way Deadline works, the application plugin watches for known errors from the standard output stream, and if it finds any it throws a FailRenderException so the Worker fails the render.

In this example, we see " Exception caught in 3ds max: – Syntax error: at keyword parameter, expected" from Max. The plugin knows that this means the render isn’t going to succeed, so we fail the task. In the task report, scroll down to the bottom and work your way up. That way you’ll see the last thing we got from Max before it failed. There might be a clue there, and if it’s not clear I might be able to see what’s wrong.

Sure here’s the whole job log:

I’ve looked all the way through and can’t spot anything that gives a clue but maybe you can shed some light! Thanks so much.

And just a reminder that sending the same job through the 3ds max CMD submitter does work ok, with the same 10.1.17.4 version of Deadline. If the job renders ok on the farm through that, but not when sent via the proper SMTD then that points to the issue maybe. But I’m just not sure.

Corona 7 isn’t supported as a stand-alone application run through Deadline. When it’s launched by Max it should be fine, but we haven’t tested it. So if they’ve changed how Max accepts Corona flags/settings it may cause trouble.

Since 3dsMax CMD works and SMTD doesn’t, I’d take a look at the job’s settings. Typically if we have an issue with the batch plugin (3dsmax in this case) we would get you to run a job through without it. But we know that works.

It might not be the case, but this log is trying to run Max 2020 instead of 2022.

Let me know if something jumps out at you.

We’ve been staring at the logs for 3 days and can’t figure out the issue. We successfully sent a bunch of jobs from the 3dsMAX SMTD in 2020 after updating to this version of Deadline - but not all jobs work. That’s why I reckoned it was some kind of specific issue relating to a plugin or something in the SMTD that’s not happy, as sending the same jobs via the 3dsMAX CMD work fine every time. I can only conclude that something in either Deadline itself or the 3dsMAX SMTD is broken. Same max file, same max version but using 10.1.13.2 works flawlessly - upgrade to 10.1.17.4 and it’s broken.

We are totally stumped! Super frustrating as we were hoping to jump fully to 2022 this week/next. Thanks for the info on Corona 7 - sounds like it should be fine (if we ever get 2022 to work).

By the way, we also did try resetting the SMTD on those jobs, but it will not reset the Sticky items. I’m wondering if there’s some specific legacy setting that’s breaking things… is it possible to 100% reset the SMTD to pure defaults to check if this is the issue?

And in case it wasn’t totally clear, all this testing is relating to 2020 - not 2022. The first thing we’ve been trying to verify is that we can still send 2020 jobs perfectly using the latest Deadline (which is failing). But just FYI, 2022 jobs are also failing in the same way - so we have concluded it’s broken across the board…

alexyork and spacesam do you using tx files in your scene? i foud a connection between using tx files ane python exception in my case

Hey Frodo. I can check for this - I guess using something like Zorb? We’re not using them intentionally, that’s for sure. There might be some in use via imported + converted 3D models perhaps… Thanks for the heads-up.

Did you manage to get everything working 100% once you removed TX files then? From 2020 and 2022?

Cheers,

Edit: I’m curious - the wording of your initial post suggests that your render jobs did actually go through ok, just delayed. Ours on the other hand simply won’t render at all (the random ones anyway - some are fine).

1. replacing TX textures with simple jpegs fix it
  2. yes our jobs eventualy finish but with a lot of errors

I think we encounter different errors because everything is python exception :slight_smile: but we cannot see the diference if it looks the same in log

I think so too Frodo! Thanks for your help. In the end we’re jumping ship to Pulze, which after some testing this last few days simply works. Refreshing!

Hi!

I’m getting the same issues.
Simple scenes work, but complex scenes do not.
Running on Corona 7 hotfix 1 + Max 2022

Every node failes the same rendering thorugh Deadline.

How do you find out if TX textures are in your scene?

• As I have read through this article it seems TX textures are the sole cause for the issue?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Added additional Error Logs:

I only read the first log, looks like Corona isn’t installed or isn’t being picked up

2021/10/25 18:07:00 WRN: [03800] [08500] Missing dll: coronamaxutils2022.dlt - CoronaSun
2021/10/25 18:07:00 WRN: [03800] [08500] Missing dll: coronamax2022.dlr - CoronaRenderer
2021/10/25 18:07:00 ERR: [03800] [08500] Error loading file C:/ProgramData/Thinkbox/Deadline10/workers/n04-BEAUTY/jobsData/6176d5ec0cdc2f794c3a834d/Untitled01.max
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences