AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Houdini 20 Patch files

This won’t add support for new features, but will at least get Deadline to run the new executable.

There is an an in-depth explanation of this process in our knowledge base that uses a fictious version of Maya as an example if you want more detail on this process.

Copy the “DeadlineRepository10” in the attached archive over your existing DeadlineRepository10 directory. This will install the Houdini patch files into the /custom directory. If there are issues you can remove the added files to roll back to the existing scripts.

Scripts taken from Deadline Client Version: 10.3.0.13.

The integrated submitter installer may not work - if it fails, refer to the manual installation steps.

If you have any trouble let us know!

Deadline_for_Houdini_20.zip (27.5 KB)

4 Likes

I keep getting this error…

Unable to locate ‘CallDeadlineCommand.py’, please ensure your Deadline ROP installation is correct.

I’ve followed the manual installation instructions. The error didn’t change from the initial install to the manual install, the same error was present through the process.

1 Like

I am getting a similar error. This was me just copying the files to where you mentioned.
'The CallDeadlineCommand.py script could not be found in the Houdini installation. Please make sure that the Deadline Client has been installed on this machine. ’

I am a bit lost on the Manual Installation process. Is there a new Deadline installer we can just run for H20?

I think you need to copy the python39libs to a python310libs folder to get this working, should work to duplicate and rename the folder.

I’ve tested H20 on windows, linux, osx intel and m2 and it works ok. I’m having issues with PDG path translation but I think this is something different

1 Like

There are no python39 files in this install. There’s a custom plugin and a custom submission folder. I tried removing everything and running a Houdini/Redshift render which worked the day prior and I just get black rendered frames. Nuke renders fine on the farm, this is just a Houdini issue at this point. If I run the render locally on the machines without deadline, things are fine. When I run with deadline I get black frames. The log seems to show everything is working correctly. So I’m a bit stumped. If it helps we’re using Houdini 19.5.605 py3.9. The 20 build is 20.0.506.

I think Anthony is referring to the python3.9 libs folder noted here (taken from the link to the manual install docs):

Third, copy <Repository>\submission\Houdini\Client\CallDeadlineCommand.py to %HOME%\Houdini{version}\python3.9libs on Windows, $HOME/Houdini[VERSION]/python3.9libs on Linux, and $HOME/Library/Preferences/houdini/[VERSION]/python3.9libs on OSX.

As a side note, Windows doesn’t really have a %HOME%, so I think in this case it is referring to %HOME% that Houdini sets (e.g. HOME=C:/Users/deadline/Documents)

Just copy that python3.9libs folder to python3.10libs. if there isn’t a python3.9libs folder already there, then just create a python3.10libs folder and copy CallDeadlineCommand.py to it.

C:\Users\Chris\Documents\houdini20.0\python3.9libs

I do have the CallDeadlineCommand.py added to that folder and still get the same issue.

You have a python3.10libs folder (you wrote 3.9) with CallDeadlineCommand.py and you still get the issue?

That seems to have solved the issue. Has to be in a 3.10 folder. I kept the 3.9 folder there and it ignored it. I cloned the 3.9 folder and just renamed it to 3.10. That you for that tidbit of advice, super appreciated.

is there a better place to copy the call CallDeadlineCommand.py to aside from inside the Houdini installation folder? I need to deploy it user/ farm machines and I dont think thats the best place to copy to

I managed to make it work using the manual installation instructions, I was supposed to duplicate the ‘python3.7libs’ and rename it to ‘python3.9libs’ in the Houdini submitter folder that the ‘Documents/Houdini20/packages/deadline.json’ was referring to.

We are also getting this to work by placing the CallDeadlineCommand.py in …python310\lib

But i was also wondering if there is somewhere more central we can place this and access it via a env var or something?

In the manual installation doc, look under “All Users” for a somewhat terse explanation. You should be able to update the deadline.json file to set the paths you’ve chosen to use.

Yeah we have done the “All Users” set up but the issue seems to be the need for the CallDeadlineCommand.py in the local machines python lib.

the deadline.json dosent seem to have anything pointing to that? it has DEADLINE_SUBMITTER_DIR which currently is directing to the central location we copied everything from the <Repository>/submission/Houdini/Client directory. but this on its own flags the error being unable to find CallDeadlineCommand.py?

Sorry my bad. Our set up slightly different which is why I mentioned the paths in the deadline.json file.

Your \\server\share\HoudiniSubmitter tree should look something like this:

HoudiniSubmitter/
├── DeadlineHoudiniClient.py
├── deadline.json
├── MainMenuCommon.xml
├── ModifyHoudiniEnv.py
├── otls
│   └── Deadline.hda
├── python3.10libs
│   ├── CallDeadlineCommand.py
└── soho
    └── DeadlineSoho.py

The deadline.json file should have the new path to the correct central location of the HoudiniSubmitter directory.

In MainMenuCommon.xml, the SUBMITTER_DIR should be modified with the full path to the correct central location of the HoudiniSubmitter directory.

The USER (or SYSTEM) environment variable HOUDINI_PACKAGE_DIR should be set to the correct central location of the HoudiniSubmitter directory.
e.g. set HOUDINI_PACKAGE_DIR=\\server\share\HoudiniSubmitter

or if you have a wrapper to launch houdini, you can set it there.

to quote sidefx:
HOUDINI_PACKAGE_DIR must be set in your environment, not in houdini.env or a package json file but prior to launch Houdini.

1 Like

Hi, is there any eta on when the new update for Deadline will be? I’m not a very technical person and find it quite hard to apply the patch explained here. Or, and I really hate to be ‘that guy’, but if someone would be extra kind and write up how to patch it for dummies.

Hey @steve_jjd

You can follow this: Houdini 20 Patch files and this: Houdini 20 Patch files - #6 by jarak

You should be good to go with H20.

@steve_jjd
I consolidated the steps. It is assumed that you have already run the Integrated Submitter e.g.(Houdini Submitter Installer) for your user and have the appropriate files located in e.g. C:\Users\deadline\AppData\Local\Thinkbox\Deadline10\submitters\HoudiniSubmitter

If for some reason you don’t want to/can’t extract over your existing repo, you can just extract the files and copy over manually.

1. Unzip Deadline_for_Houdini_20.zip

This should extract to: DeadlineRepository10/

DeadlineRepository10/
└── custom/
    ├── plugins/
    │   └── Houdini/
    │       ├── Houdini.ico
    │       ├── Houdini.options
    │       ├── Houdini.param
    │       ├── Houdini.py
    │       └── hrender_dl.py
    └── scripts/
        └── Submission/
            └── HoudiniSubmission.py

In this example the Repository is located at: \\server\DeadlineRepository10\

1. Copy the Houdini folder (DeadlineRepository10/custom/plugins/Houdini/)
    to the equiv Repo location, e.g.: \\server\DeadlineRepository10\custom\plugins

2. Copy the HoudiniSubmission.py file (DeadlineRepository10/custom/scripts/Submission/HoudiniSubmission.py)
    to the equiv Repository location, e.g.: \\server\DeadlineRepository10\custom\scripts\Submission

3. Create a new folder in C:\Users\deadline\Documents\houdini20.0 and name it python3.10libs and then copy the file CallDeadlineCommand.py into it.
    e.g.
    mkdir C:\Users\deadline\Documents\houdini20.0\python3.10libs
    copy the CallDeadlineCommand.py file e.g. \\server\DeadlineRepository10\submission\Houdini\Client\CallDeadlineCommand.py
    into the folder C:\Users\deadline\Documents\houdini20.0\python3.10libs\

C:/Users/deadline/Documents/
└── houdini20.0
    └── python3.10libs
        └── CallDeadlineCommand.py
1 Like

Thank you so much for this. I really appreciate it. I was able to get Deadline working for Houdini 20 :slight_smile:

I know this patch is usable but official H20 support really should have been released by now. It’s been almost 5 months since H20 dropped…

4 Likes
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences