AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Houdini / Redshift: extra tokens detected in expression

Hello!

I’m trying to send a basic redshift scene to deadline directly from Houdini but, because I have a expression on the render output prefix path of Redshift ROP and some external AOVs, deadline returns the following error:

=======================================================
Error
=======================================================
FailRenderException : Error: Unable to evaluate expression (Syntax error - extra tokens detected in expression (/out/deadline_test_RENDER/RS_outputFileNamePrefix)).
at Deadline.Plugins.DeadlinePlugin.FailRender(String message) (Python.Runtime.PythonException)
Error
File "C:\\Users\\Agata\\AppData\\Local\\Thinkbox\\Deadline10\\slave\\Agata\\plugins\\5f5fee494c0a21670c5db0ad\\Houdini.py", line 423, in HandleStdoutError
self.FailRender(self.GetRegexMatch(1))

The expression is a very simple one, I’m referencing the output folder on a null node, if I render directly with Houdini it works, this is the expression:

`chs("../RENDER_PATHS/render_folder")`

You can download the example scene here:

RS Ref Path_v01.zip (60.0 KB)

I’m not the most experienced user of Deadline or Houdini so let me know if I’m doing something wrong please or if you need some additional information. Thanks and cheers!

I’m using:
Houdini 18.0.566.
Redshift 3.0.28.
Deadline 10.1.9.2.
Worker 10.1.9.2.
Windows 10.

I have the exact same issue and I can’t find a damn solution…
18.5.532 / 3.0.45

you need to use “” instead of " when you summon a token in the ROP

Tanguy

Interesting, I’m going to test it. Thanks!

but be careful that you reference is not …/…/ away, it produces an error for me, meaning it writes the file minus the reference in the path. I moved my relative reference holder ( a NULL) within OUT context and not the OBJ context.

Any updates on this?

updates? I am using Mantra and running deadline locally, cant use expressions at all

As digging more into this issue, I believe Houdini Python (Hython) is not able to resolve the Output path set to the ROP node and failing with a syntax error. I was able to reproduce this with Hython running the below command:

hou.findDirectory("<Node_Output_Path_Directory>")

You would need to run under Hython.exe, can be found in the below paths:

C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini [Version]\bin\hython.exe
/Applications/Houdini/Houdini[Version]/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/[Version]/Resources/bin/hython
/opt/hfs[Version]/bin/hython

I was able to reproduce this issue using the above hou.findDirectory command with path posted in the error logs on the other forum post: Deadline Redshift expression error - #8 by Ahmed_Hindy

1 Like

hi @karpreet, thanks for your time. These tasks are ran on deadline using the vanilla houdini plugin which runs hython in the background. What more needs to be done on my end to make sure that paths are resolved in a hython environment?

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences