AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Huge difference between local and Deadline renderfarm rendering

Hi there,
I’m experiencing a huge difference between rendering locally and in my renderfarm using the same Frame and computer, de difference is:
Local → 8min
Renderfarm → 45min

Any idea?

The log shows 0 errors and the only difference I’m capable to see is that when I run the render locally, the CPU goes instantly to 100% and when I launch it from deadline monitor uses less than 30%

I’m rendering with MAYA2020

@Pere, we would need to look in the the render logs and the terminal logs to diff on what is causing the delay. Could you be able to share the render logs from the job. You can also raise a Support ticket with the Thinkbox team if there are some sensitive information in those logs.

I’ve found the solution.
I didn’t say it before, but the problem was related to MayaBatch.
Comparing the use of CPU’s on task manager, I’ve observed when I sent to render locally all CPU’s went to 100%, and when I did it through deadline monitor only 4 of the 20 CPU were using 100% the others were close to 0%. I begin looking into differences between the processes. I found that priority is set as below normal and when launched locally the priority was high, I changed it and then the render becomes as fast as locally. But the problem persists when I launched the render again. So I began to try to make it persistent on the task manager, with no success.
Finally, guessed that if when I launch it locally the priority was correct, I supposed that deadline was forcing it. Eureka!!! There’s a file named MayaBatch.py on the //renderfarmfolder/plguins/MayaBatch/ inside it there’s this line:
self.ProcessPriority = ProcessPriorityClass.BelowNormal
I’ve Changed it to:
self.ProcessPriority = ProcessPriorityClass.High

And renders become as fast as local

That’s an amazing find and I am glad it is working faster for you now.
As I read online, if we set the ProcessPriorityClass to High the process performs time-critical tasks that must be executed immediately, such as the Task List dialog, which must respond quickly when called by the user, regardless of the load on the operating system.

This is quite interesting. Is there other processes happening on the machine when you render? Even if it is on low or normal, if nothing else is happening then i would think that it would still use what is available. But i could be wrong.

But thanks for sharing!

No, deadline is running as a service on the client machines and if I didn’t change it only uses 30% of CPU power

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences