AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Octane for Cinema 4D and Deadline

Hi
Does anybody here use Octane for C4D and render jobs with Deadline?

• Do you export to OCS and render standalone jobs, or do you have a full c4d octane license per slave and render with a c4d instance?
  • How do you handle licensing on the slaves? Install and activate separately on each one?

Any info appreciated
Bonsak

I’m interested in this too! Though, we don’t have much experience here.

Fellow c4d user and avid octane maestro Casey Hupkey sums it up like this:
“Does the computer need to open cinema to render the file?
if yes C4d plugin + standalone
if no standalone.”

I’m thinking it shouldn’t be too hard to make an octane spawner plugin for Deadline that would spin up standalone slaves that you could use to render with octanes network render form inside cinema. Ala Teamrender or Vray DR. Octane deamon can be started with --net-master-address=IP --net-master-port=PORT as cmd line arguments to specify the master computer.

-b

I’ve thrown it in the internal issue tracker. We have a mating one for Maya, so we’ll probably be taking a look when that one gets implemented.

Thanks. I Managed to make a crude mod of the Vray spawner submitter and plugin. Havn’t tested it in production yet. Starts Octane deamons on N number of slaves with the ip of the submitting machine. The deamons should “belong” to you until you complete the job in Monitor.
Have attached both submitter script and plugin if anyone wants to try it out. Submission from Monitor only for the time being.

-b
OctaneSpawnerSubmission.py-put-in-sctips-submission.zip (2.7 KB)
OctaneSpawner-put-in-plugins-folder.zip (5.98 KB)

Late to this but we render C4D and Maya with Octane over Deadline. We have plugin + standalone on each node.

C4D + Octane works ok. Lots of otoy lic issues but it works.

Maya + Octane barely works. Whatever we do we never get more than half the GPU power. Not sure why. We think it might be something about the different GPU count in the submission machine vs the render node. Render node has more GPU’s.

Tried to make a little script to fix this (use all gpu’s to true) script works but but still only half power.

Eventually gave up and used Octanes internal net render for Maya only.

We still use Deadline with C4D + Octane.

Cedar-

Hi,

We’re trying to use Octane for C4D on our nodes too. Is that spawner submission valid for Deadline8? I can only see the Octane Submission listed in the Submission Menu?

Thanks

raj

I haven’t tried it with 8.

-b

It would be great to such a plugin in place.
Is it working with Deadline 10 and Octane 2019 for anybody?

As of Deadline 10.1 Octane 2019 standalone submission should be supported.

Octane is also supported within our other integrated submitters such as C4D, with an option to submit export jobs (export to .orbx formats)

Regards,
Kavi

any news on Octane 2020 support?
Octane 2019 is not available for Cinema 4D S22, so we are stuck in Cinema 4D R21 and Octane 2019 for the time being.

Hello! Amazon policy keeps us from talking about our release plan. But we do try to make note of requests!

Are there any plans to ‘officially’ release a 2020 update? I may try and bodge 2020 in the param file and see how that goes.

I’m happy to sign an NDA, cross my heart etc etc to get a sneak peak at the top secret AWS release plan.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences