AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

STOKE MX And Legacy Particles tutorial mistake

I found a small mistake in this tutorial:
thinkboxsoftware.com/stoke-m … particles/

When explaining the “Blending Different Grid Spacings Of The Same Source” it says to put grid spacing at 0.3 and 0.5, but i think we should set them at 3 and 5 to see the result shown in the tutorial. With 0.3 and 0.5 it’s too small and nothing get catched by the spray particles.

Thanks, fixed!
I should know the difference between 5.0 and 0.5, but… :blush:

It’s only a 4.5 difference! :unamused:

From where I stand, it is more like an OOM (Order Of Magnitude) difference. Which is close to OMG! :open_mouth:

Yes. I think we should decorate you with the great Order of Magnitude medal!

I just learnt the exact definition of that term last week by reading your doc about Stoke which is “an order of magnitude faster” :wink:

BTW, I just found another mistake in the tut: a broken link to the free aval of Krakatoa: thinkboxsoftware.com/stokemx … ing-fumefx

Fixed, and then fixed the download request page which listed 2.3 and not 2.3.1…

In this one: thinkboxsoftware.com/stoke-m … n-from-sw/
You ask to choose TextureCoord as a color before pressing simulate. But TextureCoord is not in the list before the simulation. so we have to simulate and then choose texture coord.

Sorry to bother for such a small detail… :blush:

No detail is too small.
The points should have been in the opposite order. First simulate, then show TextureCoord as Color.
Fixed.

also to get the same result in the “Resampling The Stoke Simulation” section we have to set the second stoke rate/frame to 5000 too.

In the “Resampling With Fluid Motion” of that same tut, I think you should specify that it’s the second stoke spacing we should set from 10 to 5.0 and check the Create Fluid Motion checkbox. Logically it’s the second one but at first it’s not that obvious.

Also it seems it works fine even if we don’t unhide the first stoke. Why do you ask to unhide it for the simulation?

There is a broken video, looks like it was removed from vimeo here at the bottom: thinkboxsoftware.com/stoke-in-production/

I contacted the aurtist too to see if he can put it back or something.

We had a copy of that video on our YT channel, I replaced the video. Thanks!

In this tut: thinkboxsoftware.com/stoke-m … s-meshing/
A step is missing in the section" Simulating Stoke Using The Custom Velocity Field"
When we select the volume and sphere and create a stoke object, we have to remove the volume from the distribution list.

Fixed!
I really like your feedback, please keep it coming!

Ok cool! Let’s make the doc perfect for the next one to read it!

thinkboxsoftware.com/stoke-m … olling-pf/

"You can minimize it, or supporess further messages by expanding the “Help” rollout "

“supporess” => suppress

thinkboxsoftware.com/stoke-m … olling-pf/

“Stoke Field Force” operator is in fact called “Stoke Field Follow”

Just a note about crashes in max 2015 when selecting the mesh for the InVolume selection in this tut: thinkboxsoftware.com/stoke-m … olling-pf/

The first 2 times I tried to select the sphere for the InputGoemetry node, max crashed and disappeared.

I just did the same exact steps again and it stopped crashing…

www.thinkboxsoftware.com/stoke-mx-field-controlling-pf/

In this one there is no “To World” node automatically created when dragging the Lookup Point in an empty space, just the InputChannel Position node is created.

I am not following. Is there some place in the tutorial where I claim that a ToWorld would be created?
In all of Stoke MX 2’s Field Magma, no ToWorld is created because InputChannel Position is already in World Space due to the way Fields are defined.
In earlier tutorials, there were ToWorld operators visible, but I mostly fixed that. Regardless, since the Stoke Field Magma is already in World Space, adding a ToWorld operator would not change anything (it would be the equivalent of multiplying by the Identity Matrix).

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences