AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Deadline 3ds max 2022 python exception

The error is coming from MaxScript:
Exception caught in 3ds max: -- Syntax error: at bad, expected <factor>

Do you have custom scripts running? Or it might be Lightning/some other plugin.

1 Like

Yes that is what I thought too. We have a custom submitter script that has worked super smoothly for years until this update. I also submitted a job through the SMTD and that errors out the same way when trying to render.

I believe that if it was a submitter issue, the error would happen on submission and not while trying to render in the queue, correct?

Chris

Yes that is correct. But MaxScript gets executed also on the farm while rendering - e.g. Lightning.

1 Like

I see. Other than the submitter, everything we run on deadline is default so I don’t believe this is something that would be triggered by our specific system.

I’ll look into it some more though.

Chris

Hi all,

Following up on this. Are we the only ones having problems with this version of deadline?

I would like to make sure that our repository and its options are not the issue. Since the repository is used in production, I can’t really test it during the day.
Can I install 2 repositories on the same machine so I have a fresh clean install of the new repository or will this create conflicts?
If not, I’ll just install a clean repository on a new machine to test things out.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi ChristopheC,

no you are not alone.
I made a new post about the submitting problem.

1 Like

@christopheC @johan_belmans

Yep, same issue with Max2022 Corona7 and 10.1.19.4 test repo.

Submitted a ticket yesterday about it and support came back saying it looks like an error in Customize.ms in the Max plugin, but it needs to be referred to the engineering team to fix.

2 Likes

Hi all,
same answer for me after submitting a ticket, I did more tests yesterday and sent them the below:

FYI I had a quick chat on the phone today an AWS support team member (for another problem we were having) and we discussed this issue.

As per his recommendation I installed the latest repository and client on a spare machine, I submitted 2 different jobs from the default Deadline submitter (not our custom one) on this machine and got the same error one one of them. (see attached the logs)

I also submitted that failing job with the 3dsmaxcmd script and it worked fine,

So I guess there is something in that one file that Deadline doesn’t like. I removed everything in that scene (so now it’s an empty 3dsmax file) and after submitting the job to Deadline I’m still getting the same error, I attached that scene to this email so you can hopefully replicate the issue on your end.

Link to the job report and 3dsmax file:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tT13_rsoJ6ynXk367ano1Y_H8XLUv76k?usp=sharing

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Chris

1 Like

Has anyone had any luck making it work?
I heard back from the support and they are trying to reproduce the issue but no timing on a fix.

Chris

OK I just did another test and it turns out that if I reset Corona then the bug doesn’t happen.
I’m guessing that it may be only on scenes that were created with an previous version of Corona. I’m not quite sure. I hope that helps, please let me know.

Thanks!

Chris

1 Like

Hi Chris,

I confirm that it helps for problematic scenes to make use of the Corona “Reset settings” button.
I have tested it on a couple of files, so far without any issues.

1 Like

Hi All,

I’m having the same problem. Max 2022, Corona 7. Deadline 10.1.18.4
I tried resetting Corona, but it did not worked for me.

Now I’m trying to downgrade to 10.16.9. or should I upgrade to 10.1.19.4 to make it work?
Submittting from monitor works but it won’t use the render region I set up.
If I submit it with monitor/3dsmax/commandline it’s okay but than max restarts for every frame.

Thanks for any help.

With 10.1.16.9 you are safe.
We are still on 10.1.19.4 and so far with the Corona “Reset settings” option it all goes fine.

Hi all,

I believe that I figured out the exact problem.
We sometimes use pre calculated uhd for our animations. It seems like anytime there is a path in the UHD cache filename, the error is generated.
Just empty that field and it should work again.
I’ll report that to the support and hopefully there is a fix soon.

Please let me know if this works for you too.

Chris

Hello,

Thanks, I will try.
I think all the scenes I had problems with were animations with the precomputed cache.
I hope there will be a fix soon since it’s not an option to render these animations without the cache.
10.1.16.9 seems to work. No error messages until now.

Lately, I also have had problems with Vexus submitting jobs to Deadline. Not the right view/camera is rendered despite that in the job option, the camera is correct, but it might be a Vexus submitter problem.

Yes, it seems if the default path for the UDH cache is removed a submitted file from the Max submitter will render. Even for a still where no UHD cache is used.

Can anyone test switching the uhd cache to discard, then back to the correct setting before sending? (I’m not near my test repo)

I’ve had this problem before with an earlier version of Deadline and Corona

Hello @squeakybadger @johan_belmans @Benjamin_Foldi @christopheC @mois.moshev @kehrmaschine @anthonygelatka @alexyork @Frodo
customize.zip (42.2 KB)
customize.tar (210.5 KB)

I’m attaching a file here please backup and replace the customise.ms in [Repo]/plugins/3dsmax/customise.ms

You should be good to go.

FWIW: In the max script we were trying to execute a file path which is why it was breaking.

3 Likes

Thanks zainali

This does indeed fix the issue.

1 Like

Looks like it works for me as well :smiley:

1 Like
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences